Jetlag problem with a six month old

A parents' forum based on GNS (A Good Night's Sleep)
Skriv svar
svensson

Jetlag problem with a six month old

Inlägg av svensson »

We returned from Canada three days ago and our 6 month old son has been waking up every evening at 10:30pm and will not go back to sleep for 1.5 to 2 hours. He is absolutely hysterical which is completely unlike him (even when we were sleep-training!). Our jingling is ineffective, buffing has not worked either (only made him angrier) and we have resorted to food :oops: (although we are trying to reduce the amount every night).

How do we get him back to the wonderful full-night sleeper he was prior to our trip?
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Re: Jetlag problem with a six month old

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hi, what's the schedule like?

Did you do the "a good nights sleep" cure? If yes, then you hit the restart button and start on night 2 (mini cure) in the cheat sheet.

You stick with the schedule down to the minute. No extra naps, no food, no compensation for loose of sleep. It should take you 3 days to introduce and 7 days to manifest.
Tor 2006
:heart: BB barn från början. Sov sin första 12h natt 5 dagar före 4 mån, Diplomerad SS vid 6 mån
:heart:

:heart: FTLOC child from the beginning. Slept his first 12 hour night 5 days before 4 months. :heart:
chokladkaninen

Inlägg av chokladkaninen »

Hi! :D

My experience of jet lag (though depending on how big the time difference was) is that it takes a week to settle and that it is not the sleeping hours that are upset but the food times. My children have always woken up hungry when it's time to eat according to the old time. So I'd say you're on the right track if you try to keep your schedule according to the new time, but allow small (and diminishing :wink:) snacks at the old time meal times (when asked for). You'll be OK in a few more days that way - and if not, that's when a mini cure could be appropriate! 8)
Mamma till :heart: Storasyster f feb 07
och :heart: Lillebror f okt 08
svensson

Inlägg av svensson »

Thanks so much for the answers.

I suspect that the time our son has been waking up corresponds to his big meal of the day when we were on holiday. We decided to give it another few days and if need be look into 'the cure' next weekend. Fortunately, last night he changed without intervention. He woke up much later than he had previously, had just a little taste of formula and then went straight back to sleep. Not perfect yet but certainly a serious improvement!
Skriv svar

Återgå till "Anna Wahlgren's Q&A Forum regarding GNS (A Good Night's Sleep)"