About the

A parents' forum based on GNS (A Good Night's Sleep)
Skriv svar
merit

About the

Inlägg av merit »

Hello,

I have a 3 months 2 weeks old babyboy. And i just read the Anna Wahlgren's book and got inspired and wanted to try it on my boy. Before he ate 2 times during the night -2 and 5 o'clock. Now i introduced him new daily schedule and everything is working fine with that (eating 5 times a day, breastfeeding). But i have a problem with this 3-nights-sleeping program. It's already fifth night, but he still wakes up (always the same times -1,4, 5, 6 o'clock; our routine starts at 7). Usually he doesn't cry, or at least if i move the pram soon after i hear he is awake, then he calms down. If i don't move the pram, he starts crying.
I still but him to sleep in the pram (5th night). Should i but him back in bed? What do i have to do, when he wakes up?
Thank you for your help!
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Re: About the

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hi Merit and welcome :D

Do you have the book a good night’s sleep or for the love of children? If it is GNS you can’t expect a 3 month old to sleep 12 hours night without food on just breast milk.

What is your schedule like?

If you at 4 months introduce solid foods and oatmeal you will be able to get the 12 hour night set in 3 days like the book says. But until 4 months and solids I would keep one night meal at 03.30 or 4 o’clock.

The pram is perfect to use so you can keep that.

Do you have him sleeping on his tummy WITH a breathing alarm? This is what normally helps them sleep deeper and calmer.
Tor 2006
:heart: BB barn från början. Sov sin första 12h natt 5 dagar före 4 mån, Diplomerad SS vid 6 mån
:heart:

:heart: FTLOC child from the beginning. Slept his first 12 hour night 5 days before 4 months. :heart:
merit

Inlägg av merit »

Hi, thank you for reply. :)

Our schedule is:
7 wake up, eating
8. playing alone
8.30-9.30(10.00) nap
10 milk
10.30 activity
12. afternoon nap
13 afternoon nap
14 milk
15 activity
16 playing alone
17 nap
18 milk
19 activity
20 milk
20.30 sleeping

But if i let him sleep in the pram, then when it's right time to but him back in bed - when he sleeps whole night without waking up?
pS. Yes, he is sleeping on his tummy.
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hi,

Yes, normally we keep our babies in the pram until they sleep all night.

You are not using "Natural sleeping patterns". They are 5 min, 20 min, 45 min, 1,5 hours, 2 hours and 3 hours.

So I would adjust my schedule to use this time. And also you need to have a night to be 11, 11,5 or 12 hours. Now the night is a bit short and the child doesn't get anough sleep.

Here is my suggestion for modifications

7 wake up, eating
8. playing alone
8.30 nap 45 min
10.30 milk breast feed for 45 min.
11.00 activity
11.30 day nap 2 hours
14 milk
15 activity
16 playing alone
15.30 nap 45 min
17.30 milk
19 activity
18.30 milk
19.00 sleeping
04.00 milk

I would use this "classical" schedule for 2 weeks and then evalute if changes are needed.
Tor 2006
:heart: BB barn från början. Sov sin första 12h natt 5 dagar före 4 mån, Diplomerad SS vid 6 mån

:heart: FTLOC child from the beginning. Slept his first 12 hour night 5 days before 4 months. :heart:
merit

Inlägg av merit »

Thank you for your suggestions. I'll start from tomorrow and i will let you know how it will turn out.
merit

Inlägg av merit »

According to your schedule there is 2 hours between 10.30 milk and 8.30 nap (45min). What should be between them (besides that 45 nap, 8.30-9.15), from 9.15 till 10.30?
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

You need to have lots of "social participation" so that is what you do. :wink:
Tor 2006

merit

Inlägg av merit »

Hello,

We have practicing daily routines and a good night sleep for couple of months now (i have to thank Anna you for that amazing book, my friends think i have a wonder baby). :). Our baby is turning 6 months in about a week.
I still gave him food 1 time during the night (5 o'clock), but since i started to give him porridge during the last meal, he started to sleep whole night (2 weeks now).
Our routine is:
8.00 wake up (sometimes wakes up 7.30, specially now, when he sleeps the whole night)
9.30-10.15 sleeping
11.30 eating - vegetable puree, breastfeeding
12.30-14.30 sleeping
15.00 eating (breast milk)
17.30-18.15 sleeping (sometimes he skips it)
18.30 eating (porridge + breast milk)
19.30 breast milk
20.00 sleeping (mostly sleeps already 19.45)

Now, when our son soon turns 6 months old plus because of the daylight saving time we have to turn clock one hour behind, I thought if i have to change my routine, now it would be the best time. What would you suggest? Does he need so much sleep?
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hi,

A 6 month old needs about 15 hours of sleep and 7+8 months 14,5 hours of sleep/day.

Sugesstions of how to have the naps.

12+45+1,5+45 or 12+45+2+20

And then by 7 months you can have 2 or 3 naps

12+45+2 or 12+1,5+20

What do you think will suit your child?

:idea: you could also use more solid foods on your schedule. Like dinner a 6 month old has no bottom when it comes to food. :wink:
Tor 2006

merit

Inlägg av merit »

Hi,

My boy is now 9,5 months old and I created him a new schedule (doesn't need so much sleep now). Our schedule is:
8.00 wake up and milk
8.15-9.15 playing alone
9.15 breakfast (porridge)
9.30-10.15 nap
12.00 lunch
13.00-14.30 nap
15.00 big snack
18.30 dinner
20.00 milk + sleep

I have some problems. First - he wakes up every morning 30-40 before the waking time. If i enter the room to calm him down, he thinks it time to wake up and he starts screaming of disappointment. Even if i manage to calm him down, then when i leave the room he cries even more. And then its already wake up time. So because i dont want to hear this screaming i just do nothing and he just cries in his room till the waking time (its not that he cries all that 30min, he makes other noises and sometimes is quiet also).
Other problem is with the first nap (9.30). I tried couple of times, but it takes me more than 45 minutes to calm him down and then i just take him out of bed without any sleep.
Long nap and going to bed in the evening works smoothly and without any problems. What should i do? Thank you for any help.
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hi and welcome back!

When you have done the cure and lots of time has passed by I recommend just what you are doing, NOTHING. The recommended sleep for a 9-11 month old is 14 hours and from your schedule it looks great! What you can do in time is shorten the morning nap to 20 min. My son at this age had the morning play included in the nap some days he got to sleep 45 min, some days 20 and other days none. But in the beginning you can clock the nap to 45 min.

Regarding early waking’s it might be time to introduce the alarm clock. You get a cheap alarm clock on batteries and put outside the room. Have it ring in the morning at 8, you walk in with the ringing clock and turn it off in front of him. After a while they realize that morning is when clock rings, not when they wake up or when mom comes in. Also you need to look over the room, is it really dark enough? You should if you put him to bed during the middle of the day, have the room so dark that you can’t see your hand in front of you. PITCH BLACK. Morning light can wake up the most secure sleeper. Please check the darkness of the room really well. I had to even put a towel at the bottom of the door because the light came in that way.

Good Luck 8)
Tor 2006

merit

Inlägg av merit »

Thank you very much for your advice.
Skriv svar

Återgå till "Anna Wahlgren's Q&A Forum regarding GNS (A Good Night's Sleep)"