weaning and the schedule

A parents' forum based on GNS (A Good Night's Sleep)
Skriv svar
chilber

weaning and the schedule

Inlägg av chilber »

Hi

I successfully used the cure with my daughter when she was one year old. She is now 4 and still a great sleeper.

I want to use it again for my 6 month old son but this time I am confused about weaning. When we cured my daughter she was no longer having milk feeds during the day. However, my son is younger so is still having milk. Should his milk feeds be in addition to his 4 solid meals a day and if so how do I maintain the appropriate time gap? Or should they be directly after a feed or instead of a feed. Should they even be scheduled in or just given on demand. I am not quite sure how interaction between milk and solids should work. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks :)
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Re: weaning and the schedule

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hello and welcome back! :D

So he is now 6 months and as you say should have 4 solid meals. If you breastfeed we usually suggest you do it straight after the food as a top off. If you give the bottle you can if you wish to do the same. The whole solids with after chasing the bottle all within 30-40 min.

Don't forget to re-read the book 2-3 times before doing the cure and if you wish we can support you with a good schedule and more, just let us know.
Tor 2006
:heart: BB barn från början. Sov sin första 12h natt 5 dagar före 4 mån, Diplomerad SS vid 6 mån
:heart:

:heart: FTLOC child from the beginning. Slept his first 12 hour night 5 days before 4 months. :heart:
chilber

Inlägg av chilber »

Hi again

thank you for your advice. Actually I do need some help with the schedule.

With my older daughter we had meal times at 8.00am, 11.30am, 2.45pm and 6.00pm and this worked well.

However, now my daughter is at school I cannot use the same schedule because the school run interferes with the timings.

We now have breakfast at 7.30, lunch at 11.30 and dinner at 5.15ish. I don't know how to fit in a mid afternoon meal because the school run means I am out driving and walking between 2.45 and 3.15/4.00pm depending on the day. Sometimes I can manage to give my son a snack in the buggy during that time but that depends on the day and the weather etc.

Any suggestions you have on how to get round this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hi,

Please give me the full schedule for your sun where the times for school is included.

But as you have been doing you might need to give it in the car or the buggy. It is just a snack, not a full meal!
Tor 2006
:heart: BB barn från början. Sov sin första 12h natt 5 dagar före 4 mån, Diplomerad SS vid 6 mån

:heart: FTLOC child from the beginning. Slept his first 12 hour night 5 days before 4 months. :heart:
chilber

Inlägg av chilber »

ok, so something a bit like this!

awake - 7.00am
breakfast 7.30 - 8.00am
school run 8.20 - 9.10am - based on the schedule for a 9month old he needs a 15 min nap. He may nap in the car or when we get home but the car journey is only 110 mins long max (depending on traffic) so he doesn't get a full 15 min snooze in one go
lunch 11.30am - 12.00pm
nap 12.10 - 2.10pm
school run 2.45 - 3.45pm
tea 5.15 - 5.45pm
bedtime milk 6.30pm
bed 7.00pm

Please let me know what you think. Many Thanks
Tin
Rådgivare/advisor

Inlägg av Tin »

Hello,
we have missed this thread. Thank you for being patient.
How are you doing with food and weaning, do you still need help?

regards Tin :heart:
Lilla O född 2010-02-04 (42+1)
Standardmodellat sedan 13 mars då hon var drygt 4 veckor.

Lilla M född 2012-11-29 (39+0)
SM från början, vad annars ;)
chilber

light sleeper who dislikes jingle

Inlägg av chilber »

Hi

further to your advice on routine, we started the cure about 2 months ago. Our sons sleep is much improved but things are still not quite right.

When we put our son to bed, despite him having a great bed time laugh, he will start crying loudly as soon as he is put in the cot, sometimes as soon as he sees his sleeping bag. As he is almost 1 year old now, we have moved his bedtime back to 7.20 pm to ensure he gets the right amount of sleep and reduce the screaming which has helped a little. Eventually, he will go to sleep.

However, he is a light sleeper and often, when our daughter goes to bed shortly afterwards, some noise disturbs him and he wakes up crying again. This time it can take upwards of 45 minuets to settle and the jingle does noting to sooth him. I feel like because of this, I have no way of comforting him and he gets more and more worked up which is not what I want.Eventually, again, he will fall asleep and typically sleep till 6.00am the following morning, as long as no noise disturbs him during the night, in which case the cycle will repeat. At 6.00am, he will wake up and scream again and this will continue on and off, till 7.00am when I get him up for the day.

I know I should not pick him up when he is crying but as jingling does not work to sooth him and I need to start the day to do the school run on time, I feel I have little choice.

We seem to have not got things quite right, especially in the 'enjoyment' department so any advice you can give would be very welcome.

Many Thanks
Clare
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hello,

like you say, your son is now almost 1 year old. What is your schedule like now? You need about 13,5 hours of sleep every day. Usual is to have 12 hours a night and 1,5 hours day sleep.

What is your daily routine? feeding times? activity? outdoors?

When they are about 1 year they are often very frustrated cause they are about to start talking but aren't understood enough which causes a lot of frustration. Now for a one-year-old to sleep really well then need to have ALL of their need met during the day. Food, rest, physical activity, being outdoors without a stroller but crawling in the forest and more.

When you put him to bed make sure you have the laughter OUTSIDE the bedroom, then fly in, poff in the cot and leave the room. It should already be pitch dark and not many lights or so. No good night this or good night that. Just poff in the bed and OUT with the happiest of jingles. Now if you did the cure, your job is to ensure that the jingle works the way it is supposed to. If it doesn't you will need to hit the rewind button to night 2 in the cure and WORK it in! No compromises, the jingle ALWAYS has the last word, and THEN the confirmation jingle X4, no compromise to be scared he will get wound up and start screaming again.

And then when it comes to sound, if he wakes up of noise then it is because you haven't put him through any noise but perhaps asked for everyone to be quiet. Here you need to start making noise A LOT of noise! He needs when you put him to bed to hear noise and other things to listen to rather than his own crying or screaming. But also noise has a reassuring effect. So put him to bed and start vacuum-cleaning or other LOUD noise. And keep this noise on as you put the daughter to bed! However, I would like to say that Anna recommends keeping 12 hours night up till the middle of school age. My son had 12 hours until 7-8 years old. They can lie there and philosophy a bit before falling asleep.
My son is now almost 13 and has about 10 hours night still. So put them to bed at the same time is my suggestion, and MAKE NOISE!!
Tor 2006

TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Oh, also I combined your threads. We only recommend 1 thread/child. If you'd please also try to enter "control panel/signature" and put your son's birthdate there it would help a lot!
Tor 2006

Skriv svar

Återgå till "Anna Wahlgren's Q&A Forum regarding GNS (A Good Night's Sleep)"