About to start GNS cure for 4 month old

A parents' forum based on GNS (A Good Night's Sleep)
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Re: About to start GNS cure for 4 month old

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hi, you get some great answers here I just want to fill in.

Practice rolling from back to belly during the day. Like 5min/10times/day. From belly to back is easy so it is the back to belly we want to go.

Now to the rolled blankets, we put them UNDER the mattress so it forms like a cup, if you have them on the sides it is just a "buffer" if you get my point. You want it to be more like a bowl, that is why we put it under the mattress and also so they can't get tangled in anything.

The rest is perfect answers from MamaA, sometimes we also say, when you want to jingle, do house noice. When you want to enter the room, do the jingle. After that it is crisis if you get my drift? The major most difficult key to the cure is to learn how to listen and interpret the cry to "WHAT is the question" once you get this, you will always know what to do.
Like during the day you can hear if he is unhappy with something in his cry, if he wants something you have, you also hear if he falls it gets quiet and then the cry, your heart jumps because NOW you KNOW he got hurt, right?
Same thing with the cry during sleep, listen, listen, listen, interpret, THEN act accordingly. :D :heart:
Tor 2006
:heart: BB barn från början. Sov sin första 12h natt 5 dagar före 4 mån, Diplomerad SS vid 6 mån
:heart:

:heart: FTLOC child from the beginning. Slept his first 12 hour night 5 days before 4 months. :heart:
Gen.Pe

Inlägg av Gen.Pe »

Ok our crisis is a similar definition! Good. :lol:

His room is pitch black all the time but he can still do day time naps in a stroller (or pram as you folks say) or a bedroom at someone else’s house that isn’t completely dark. So I think that’s a win in itself!!
Son, born Nov 19/2017
Another son, born May 16/2020
Gen.Pe

Inlägg av Gen.Pe »

Thanks Torsmama, saw your reply after.

I’ll try the bowl idea in his crib and practise the back to belly roll...how do you assist them in practising exactly? Lay him on his back and slowly motion his legs and roll him yourself?
Son, born Nov 19/2017
Tin
Rådgivare/advisor

Inlägg av Tin »

Hi there,
there is lots of ways for practicing rolling just google, ;).
However the one that worked best for us was baby on back, hold a favorite toy high over the babys shoulder (close to the ground at a 11 oclock so that baby looks over and up) and help baby reach over with guiding his hand with your hand.
Help just a little bit and have baby reach until they flip over. Often the other arm gets stuck underneath but just help with that too.

hugs Tin :heart:
Lilla O född 2010-02-04 (42+1)
Standardmodellat sedan 13 mars då hon var drygt 4 veckor.

Lilla M född 2012-11-29 (39+0)
SM från början, vad annars ;)
Gen.Pe

Inlägg av Gen.Pe »

Good I will look into that! Thank you.

I’d like your advice. So the past few days my son (22weeks old) had found his thumb and sucks it here and there throughout the day. I’ve noticed now that when I put him down on the mattress for his naps and his goodnight he sucks it too. He never used to. Is this a problem? Or should I just let him? I’ve heard that kids who suck their thumbs eventually are more sick due to germs and what not. Thoughts?
Son, born Nov 19/2017
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hi, So we here in the forum LOVE the thumb, this is always with them, they can regulate it themselves. We train them at about 4 years of age to stop with it. During the day we don't encourage the thumb sucking so during the day, he should always have something else to hold on to in his hands. He should also be crawling on the floor on the belly by now then his hands are also busy crawling reaching things he likes. So thumb is ok for sleeping, keep it busy during the day with other stuff. :D
Tor 2006
:heart: BB barn från början. Sov sin första 12h natt 5 dagar före 4 mån, Diplomerad SS vid 6 mån

:heart: FTLOC child from the beginning. Slept his first 12 hour night 5 days before 4 months. :heart:
Gen.Pe

Inlägg av Gen.Pe »

Oh! I am glad to hear that. I was expecting it would also fall into the category of sleep aids and would be a no no. Great. He literally puts it in his mouth when he feels the mattress for naps and goodnight sleep and doesn’t even fuss anymore. Lays down and goes to sleep in like a minute or two! It helps!!
Son, born Nov 19/2017
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Yes because the thumb is "self soothing" no looking for a "Prop" it is always there, no loosing it. :wink: Just keep busy during the day so it isn't in all the time. :D :lol:
Tor 2006

Gen.Pe

Inlägg av Gen.Pe »

Hello again! The past few days have caused some changes to our sons sleep, now 7 months old. Who knows what it is? Recently we’ve had a big heat wave, could be teething, he’s much more mobile and rolls around constantly throughout the night too so I have to go reposition him if he hits the crib, road construction nearby being so loud it shakes the house...but it could be anything causing this change.

He wakes at the hour of the wolf almost nightly and has for the past week. When he does he cries with great efforts and sounds very angry. I try to minimize the rounds of the message and jingling but nothing seems to work. He usually tires himself out after 20-1.5 hours of this dance. It’s started to affect his big midday 2 hour nap as well.

What’s devastating is my darling husband PICKED him up out of his crib last night after my 1.5 hours of efforts to get him to sleep [-X which I so did not agree with. Now what? Has he gotten the message that crying enough means he’ll be picked up? What do I do to get him back on track?

Help!!!!
Son, born Nov 19/2017
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hello again, :D

So what is his schedule like now?
What does he eat during the day?
is his room pitch dark even at noon if you check, you shouldn't be able to see your hand?

Do you have "for the love of children"? read about the 8-month anxiety development!

Try using our search as well. If I do it I get a lot of hits on this. https://www.annawahlgren.com/forum/sear ... t=S%C3%B6k
Tor 2006

Gen.Pe

Inlägg av Gen.Pe »

Oh! I didn’t know you could search like that- that is helpful. I will look. He’s not quite there yet but I bet it’s not down to an exact day when the anxiety hits! :wink:

He eats everything right now haha. Solids that are puréed or minced and we’ve started finger food and self feeding too; all varieties of meats fruits veggies starches and fats.
His room is pitch black for every sleep.

Schedule is as follows:
7am- wake up
715am- breakfast cereal or eggs followed with breastfeeding
815am- playtime indoors
845am- nap <45 minutes>
9am- walk or socialize with family/friends
1045am- breastfeed him
1130am- nap <2 hours>
145pm- lunch
2pm- breastfeed him
230pm- playtime at home or socialize with family/friends
330pm- nap <45 minutes>
5pm- dinner
6pm- bathtime
630pm- breastfeed him
645pm- laughs
7pm- goodnight

Is it a big deal he was picked up? Does it mess him up if it’s just happened once?
Son, born Nov 19/2017
mamaA
Rådgivare/advisor

Inlägg av mamaA »

Hi!

Is there a missing meal in the schedule? 10.45 only says breastfeed when this should be lunch. He needs to be really full to sleep a two hour nap. The meal after the nap is usually a snack(fruit,porridge, yoghurt etc, similar to breakfast). Besides that there is to much sleep, either shorten the long nap to 1,5 hours or the last to 20 min( add 10 min to fall asleep). Our schedule was 12-45-1,5-20 at this age so I imagine that´s why he wakes up to early. At 8-9 months you usually cut down to two naps and then 12-45 -1,5/2 is recommended.

About picking him up, it´s not a good thing but if you don´t make a big deal about it it will help him. The downside is that he can ask more questions ( screaming) but then you handle that with the jingle. Once is not a big deal, just more work to convince him again usually :wink:
James 11-03-05
Finn 14-09-19
SM-barn så klart!
Gen.Pe

Inlägg av Gen.Pe »

Thanks! Good advice.

I’ve put his lunch before the big nap and a snack instead after. I’ll keep it at 2 hours cause it’s the only time I can get things done hah. But will shorten the last nap.

When will I have to drop more sleep hours, 9 months?
Son, born Nov 19/2017
mamaA
Rådgivare/advisor

Inlägg av mamaA »

Hi!
Usually around nine months, but wait for his cue, you will notice when it´s time just like you did now.
James 11-03-05
Finn 14-09-19
SM-barn så klart!
Gen.Pe

Inlägg av Gen.Pe »

Hi there. Baby is now 9 months. He currently is teething and has a cold so perhaps that’s the cause but he’s been waking at 5am instead of 7am. Still sleeps through the night without a peep, if he wakes its usually around 1030pm for a few minutes but falls asleep again...I don’t even jingle I just leave him be. Is that correct? I know you all answer many similar questions so I did try to read this forum and the pages of GNS that are applicable...but just want some confirmation I am on track...where is the best place to lower/get rid of the naps?

Current schedule:
7am wake up (but now seems he’s chosen 5am)
715am breastfeeding
730am cereal
845am nap for 45 minutes *he is usually tired and would easily sleep 1 hour or more. With his cold I have let him sleep more to help him gain back his health. Is this okay??? Is this bad?? Maybe it’s causing his issues around sleeping.
1045am meat and fruit
1115am breastfeeding
1130am nap 2 hours (I wrote before that I didn’t want to cut this one down cause it’s when I get things done- but perhaps I should)
130pm fruits
230pm breastfeeding
330pm nap for 45 min if his 2 hour nap is shorter or 20 min if his nap is the full 2 hours.)
5pm meats etc
6pm bath
630pm breastfeeding top up
645pm laughs
7pm bedtime

Appreciate your advice.
Son, born Nov 19/2017
Skriv svar

Återgå till "Anna Wahlgren's Q&A Forum regarding GNS (A Good Night's Sleep)"