About to start GNS cure for 4 month old

A parents' forum based on GNS (A Good Night's Sleep)
videunge

Re: About to start GNS cure for 4 month old

Inlägg av videunge »

Hello

You’re right. When he wakes up and you think he can fall asleep again on his own it’s okay to let him do that. :D

Baby has a lot of nap time and I imagine that’s what’s causing the early mornings. A nine month old needs about 14 hours of sleep. Right now your schedule would suit an average 5-6 months baby :roll:. When you let him sleep to much during the day he’ll wake up early instead. Most 9 months old just have two naps, 12-45-1,5. As he is sick he might need a little more sleep but I would advise you to at least cut down to 12-45-1,5-20 which is recommended for an 8 months old and when he feels better you skip the last nap :wink:
Mamma till:
L- 2008-07-30 kurad
En ängel som vände om-10
O- 2011-02-18 SM från start
N- 2012-11-06 SM från start
A- 2018-03-21 SM från start
Gen.Pe

Inlägg av Gen.Pe »

Thanks! I’ll try that!
Son, born Nov 19/2017
Another son, born May 16/2020
Gen.Pe

Inlägg av Gen.Pe »

Update! It’s 4am, he’s woken approx 4 tines a night for the past week. Before that still once or twice a night. And still waking early around 6am instead of 7am. This is after I took away his last 45 min nap. He’ll be 10 months in a few days, he’s eating like a horse and I can see more teeth coming in...that’s got to be why? But I’m wondering if anyone has advice, I am going in his room as seldom as possible and when I do I TT fanning first and exiting with the jingle. If screaming persists then I give the whole message. I also try just jingling through the door. This battle will go on for 20 minutes to 2 hours sometimes. Help! :x
Son, born Nov 19/2017
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hi, so what is your schedule like now?
Are you outside 1 hour am and 1 hour pm (not in a stroller) he needs to crawl on the ground in the forrest?

What do you do during the days? What does he eat? Is his room pitch dark at noon?
Tor 2006
:heart: BB barn från början. Sov sin första 12h natt 5 dagar före 4 mån, Diplomerad SS vid 6 mån
:heart:

:heart: FTLOC child from the beginning. Slept his first 12 hour night 5 days before 4 months. :heart:
Gen.Pe

Inlägg av Gen.Pe »

Hi. His schedule is as follows:
7am- wake up
715am- breakfast cereal or pancakes or eggs followed with breastfeeding
815am- playtime *mostly indoors lately as it’s vern snowy and rainy already this time of year we do go to the park when it’s nice but mostly in the stroller and swings at the park. He’s not yes crawling officially- more of an army crawl and he’s not great at going forward just backward. However he gets exercise in his jumparoo a lot and he loves to walk when he holds onto his walker or my hands.

845am- nap <45 minutes>
9am- socialize with family/friends or run errands
1045am- lunch followed by breastfeeding
1130am- nap <1.5 hours>
130pm- snack
230pm- breastfeeding
230-5pm free time
5pm- dinner
6pm- bathtime
630pm- breastfeed him
645pm- laughs
7pm- goodnight

I will be weaning him of the two breast milk sessions in the afternoon and will substitute with formula as I head back to work soon.

His room is and has always been pitch black!
Son, born Nov 19/2017
Gen.Pe

Inlägg av Gen.Pe »

Oh sorry- as far as what he eats..mostly what we do. Still has purée here and there but every meal has good proteins and fats!
Son, born Nov 19/2017
mamaA
Rådgivare/advisor

Inlägg av mamaA »

Hi! When you change to two naps you have to push the other naps 30-60 min forward so the time between the long nap and bedtime at night is 4-5 hours. From what I see in your schedule it´s six hours wihch is too long.
James 11-03-05
Finn 14-09-19
SM-barn så klart!
Gen.Pe

Inlägg av Gen.Pe »

Ok so his 1.5 hour nap should be at 12pm instead of 11:30? Or is it best to have that nap start at 12:30?
Son, born Nov 19/2017
mamaA
Rådgivare/advisor

Inlägg av mamaA »

Hi!
I would push the first nap to 9/9.15 and the second to 12.30. That way he gets 5 hours before bedtime awake which is good.
James 11-03-05
Finn 14-09-19
SM-barn så klart!
Gen.Pe

Inlägg av Gen.Pe »

Will do thanks
Son, born Nov 19/2017
Gen.Pe

Inlägg av Gen.Pe »

My son keeps waking up around 11pm and stays up for sometimes two hours. He doesn’t cry and is “happy” in his bed so I leave him alone and don’t go in or say the jingle. But why is he suddenly awake every night again? He gets 1.5 hour nap only in the daytime. We spend plenty of time outside. He is still put down to bed at 7pm and wakes around 630/7am. What should I do differently?
Son, born Nov 19/2017
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hello again, please go to the top of this page and into "Control panel/signature" and write the birth date of your son. This way it is easier for us to assist you. :)

How old is he now? What is the schedule like now?
Tor 2006
:heart: BB barn från början. Sov sin första 12h natt 5 dagar före 4 mån, Diplomerad SS vid 6 mån
:heart:

:heart: FTLOC child from the beginning. Slept his first 12 hour night 5 days before 4 months. :heart:
Gen.Pe

Inlägg av Gen.Pe »

Hello. I added his birth date to my profile. Thanks for the tip. My son is now 18 months old, it’s been a pretty great year. He’s done well for the majority of the time at night (with the exception of a few flu‘s and bad teething moments). However recently he started waking up around 630 AM or waking for a few hours at night. He’s content when he wakes so unless I have to go in and fan him I usually leave him alone- I don’t even jingle. Is this okay? His schedule is 7pm to 7am still. We nap for 1.5-2 hours in the pitch black between 10/11am. We play outside lots in between the day or go visit with friends. He loves his afternoon naps because he’s wiped out by the time they come around. He also eats very well so no problems there!

Please clarify:
I read on the forum putting him to bed 30 min earlier helps with sleeping in? How could this be, makes little logical sense to me if he is getting extra sleep how does it assist in the early rising issue? I am also aware of this 18 month defiance stage so perhaps that’s why he isn’t sleeping through right now?
Son, born Nov 19/2017
Tin
Rådgivare/advisor

Inlägg av Tin »

Hi,
hm the signature didn't work, can you reenter it? I cant see it.

Well, regarding sleep. We all sleep in cycles of - kids and grownups - were you are deep in sleep and then surface. Its when you sleep less deep that you easily wake up. The cycles are 5 mins, 20 mins, 45 mins, 2 hours etc. Im sure you have experienced the 45 minute cycle if you have kids, where the kid wakes up at exactly 45 minutes. Common for tummy sleepers that fall asleep sitting in a pram or a car seat. When they surface in sleep and find them self sitting up they wake up.

So in the morning kids who wake up too early is surfacing when you you dont want them to, so by changing the bed time (to 30 minutes early) you can change when the surfacing occurs in the morning. Its highly effective and much better than removing sleep.

Also, yes it is OK to not jingle when they stir at night. The best tool is to do nothing, if the baby can take care of wake ups themselves that is awesome. In fact the goal. Do still use the jingle at bedtime to keep it alive IF you do need it.

hugs Kristin :heart:
Lilla O född 2010-02-04 (42+1)
Standardmodellat sedan 13 mars då hon var drygt 4 veckor.

Lilla M född 2012-11-29 (39+0)
SM från början, vad annars ;)
Gen.Pe

Inlägg av Gen.Pe »

Ok I tried again, is it in the signature now? I still don’t really see how giving him more sleep is going to help him from waking early. I understand the deep sleep and surfacing as you described it. So if what you’re saying works then I am to try put him to sleep by 6:30pm instead of 7pm?
Son, born Nov 19/2017
Skriv svar

Återgå till "Anna Wahlgren's Q&A Forum regarding GNS (A Good Night's Sleep)"