About to start GNS cure for 4 month old

A parents' forum based on GNS (A Good Night's Sleep)
mamaA
Rådgivare/advisor

Re: About to start GNS cure for 4 month old

Inlägg av mamaA »

Hi!
From what I´m reading from your last post I would recommend to wait a little longer with the cure. Either you get your husband fully onboard or you have to do all the nights(and days) by your self. You have to be very strict with both the scedule and the way you do things during the cure and you can´t be giving the baby mixed messeges, then the cure will fail. Even if only one of you does the cure the other one can not sabotage it by picking the baby up when his crying instead of sleeping, that´s when you use buffing or jingling. If your husband picks him up these tools will not work for you either. The baby must know that he won´t be picked up and that the jingle means go back to sleep, everybody who handles him must follow these rules.

The most important part of the cure is the person who does it :!: , you have to be 100% sure that it´s going to work for the baby to believe it. If you are unsure he will sense it. Other very important parts are falling alseep on his own and if he is crying/wakes up early he is calmed down in his bed, you don´t end the nap early. If you end it early he will continue to wake even earlier. If he isn´t crying you just let him be even if he´s awake.

He needs a twelve hour night, otherwise he will need that extra hour sleep during the day and that will be tricky. A normal scedule for a 4-month old is 12 hour night, 45 min nap, 2 hour nap, 45 min nap ( through out the day.

We usually don´t give prunejuice , we give prunepuré. Do you have that? Pear also works. You can make your own prunepuré from dried prunes that you put in water for a couple of hours and then mix with a little of the water. It is very potent this way, more than the storebought puré.
James 11-03-05
Finn 14-09-19
SM-barn så klart!
Gen.Pe

Inlägg av Gen.Pe »

Understood. Sounds like the schedule the napping issues and the eating will all be solved once the cure takes affect. I am very confident in the tools and how to perform the cure, I am extremely determined to make it work now as it can’t be delayed a few days; (it’ll have to be delayed a month) and I can’t take more sleepless nights. It looks like I will be doing all the days and nights then. How do you recommend I go about this? Have someone come over to my house to help during the day (my husband will be at work) so I can rest?

I can have my mother come over and do the days so I can sleep. I’ll make sure she’s strict with the schedule and not picking him up. Should I teach her the daytime jingle and how to buff and fan in case she needs it?
Son, born Nov 19/2017
Another son, born May 16/2020
Gen.Pe

Inlägg av Gen.Pe »

Oh also! I have seen some comments where the cheat sheet link is given. I’ve clicked it but it doesn’t work. Says the webpage has been removed. Can you send me the cheat sheet so I can print it? Perhaps by email if you don’t want to post it here?
Son, born Nov 19/2017
mamaA
Rådgivare/advisor

Inlägg av mamaA »

Hi!
Sorry I don´t have the link, maybe you can send a pm to Tors mamma incase she has it.

Sounds like a good plan to let your mother help, just as long as she is familiar with what she is supposed to do in which day of the cure. I recommend that she reads the book too. When the jingle has been introduced as a working tool, buffing and fanning should be crisis tools and the jingle is then the primary tool together with household sounds.
James 11-03-05
Finn 14-09-19
SM-barn så klart!
Gen.Pe

Inlägg av Gen.Pe »

Ok thanks. Got it. And I as asked in my first comment about my noise machine..should I have it on outside his room during the cure like the “house noise” or not at all (like I was told before)?
Son, born Nov 19/2017
Gen.Pe

Inlägg av Gen.Pe »

So just to make sure I don’t mess it up...if my mother is ok to help me; can’t my husband help during the day then also? He’s home Friday’s in the afternoon and doesn’t work Saturday’s. Having two people help during the day is okay? Or it messes with the cure. It has to be the same person?
Son, born Nov 19/2017
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hi again,

So it sounds like your mother is more consistent and a bit steadier than the father who is a bit softer. SO with that in mind perhaps your mother is better to come and assist you during the days the first week? And when things are set (about 1-2 weeks) your hubby can see the great results and have had the time to read up and feel the difference?

The white noise machine could if you wish be outside the room but should not be on all night, it should then be used as a calming tool just like household noise. The difference (please re-read the Safari) is that the household noise really shows someone is out there guarding you, but the machine only makes noise not saying anyone is there if you get my point?

So you start the cure tomorrow, read the Safari page 41 again. And the first Peace page 50. Then after tomorrow re-read Security page 63 and day 3-4 re-read Enjoyment chapter page 83.

On page 170 you have the cheat sheet. :wink:

Also I posted 3 new posts at the top of this forum for you. Please read them as "pepping" for you so you feel confident and know what we are doing.

https://www.annawahlgren.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=49

Did you get a hold of FtLOC? :D
Tor 2006
:heart: BB barn från början. Sov sin första 12h natt 5 dagar före 4 mån, Diplomerad SS vid 6 mån
:heart:

:heart: FTLOC child from the beginning. Slept his first 12 hour night 5 days before 4 months. :heart:
Gen.Pe

Inlägg av Gen.Pe »

Thanks so much. Will do with the noise machine.

Will also read and re read tonight and tomorrow when I am up and needing something to occupy me.

My mother will help but not constantly as she works a lot. My hubby is determined to finish the book by tomorrow night, he’s currently reading the message/reminder/confirmation part. Once done he’ll practise on me and we will review IF I find him up to the task he can then help me! I am taking this very seriously! It’s life or death for me and my son :wink:

Not yet, until the cure takes affect I’ll focus on that! Then I will get the floc book after? Is that a good plan?

———————-

While I have your attention....
I started tonight, put my son down at 715pm because I couldn’t fit everything in it seemed. Feeding him felt rushed and so did the bathtime and laugh. Is it possible in my schedule to start the feeding of purees at 6pm, 620pm a drink from the breast, 630pm bathtime, 645pm the laugh, 7pm goodnight? Currently his schedule is 630 feed 645 bath 7pm goodnight.

It’s now been an hour into the first night, it only took a few minutes of the message for him to drift off, I jingled as I exited and he wasn’t protesting too much, took 15 minutes for him to fall asleep! Of course it didn’t stay that way, only for 20 minutes, but I’m happy it wasn’t a huge fight right out of the gate!

Since this will be the first time he’s not eaten for so long (all day I tried stuffing him with food until he cried!!), is it permitted for me to give him ONE bottle of breastmilk, I’ll hold it, IN his crib without picking him up?

Thanks! And appreciate the pepping as you mentioned =D>
Son, born Nov 19/2017
mamaA
Rådgivare/advisor

Inlägg av mamaA »

Hi!
Why don´t you haver dinner + breastmilk at 17.30, then bath, laughter and then a little top of with breastmilk if he wants it just before bed, not all children want that last top of but we offer it to make sure they are full before bedtime. I think Tors mamma actually said dinner at 17.30 in her scedule? You don´t want to feel stressed before bedtime, that does not make a good cure start. I put my sons to bed at 19.30 and we had dinner at 18.00 and then bath etc and it worked just fine so I think that if you have dinner at 17.30 it will work for you to since int´s the same amount of time.
James 11-03-05
Finn 14-09-19
SM-barn så klart!
Gen.Pe

Inlägg av Gen.Pe »

Great! Thank you. And I am guessing it’s a no to the bottle idea? If he seems extra fussy perhaps due to hunger?

To report; its 2 am here on my first night and I am shocked at how well it’s going. He hasn’t slept through but has done a couple hour stints and when he wakes he doesn’t ask many questions. Earlier I did the message each time he reved up but now I am just doing reminder jingles from his door!! Sooooo happy! :mrgreen:
Son, born Nov 19/2017
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hi, just to confirm what mamaA is saying. Dinner, bath, top off, laughter about 10 min, put to bed.

So about the jingle, you do the jingle X4 and as soon as he is quiet you do the "confirmation" jingle X4 correct? The confirmation jingle is the key here. If you need re-read the jingle chapter. :D

Good work and good luck.

Ps. No we NEVER have an emergency bottle ready at night, then you get the wrong message! Then he will never know what happens at night. the message is "NOTHING" happens at night. :wink: Ds.
Tor 2006
:heart: BB barn från början. Sov sin första 12h natt 5 dagar före 4 mån, Diplomerad SS vid 6 mån
:heart:

:heart: FTLOC child from the beginning. Slept his first 12 hour night 5 days before 4 months. :heart:
Gen.Pe

Inlägg av Gen.Pe »

Yes! To my surprise he didn’t pose many questions for very long. I figured when he gets hungry he’ll be so fussy but he didn’t! Clearly the eating at night was a comfort thing, anxiety too. The whole night was pretty good! I’m very pleased. :D

What I’ve done is...I give the reminder jingle 1x at the crib, 2x as I am walking out, 3x at the door with my back facing him, lastly 4x outside the door through the ----. Then I give a confirmation jingle x4 right at the door. Is that correct?

At the moments where he’s not really asking for help I just give the jingle (whether it’s reminder or confirmation- the book says they kind of combine which I can see now) once x4 outside his door. Is that correct?

Now for the schedule...what I have at this time is:
7am- wake up with fanfare
715am- breakfast cereal
745am- nurse him
815am- laughs and playtime
845am- nap <45 minutes>
1045am- nurse him
1130am- nap <2 hours>
145pm- afternoon snack of mashed fruit
2pm- nurse him
230pm- laughs and playtime
330pm- nap <45 minutes>
430pm- nurse him
*this is the one I am questioning, especially if moving up his dinner to 530pm...should I get rid of this 430pm feed all together?*
630pm- dinner purée
645pm- nurse him
7pm- bath
710pm- laughs and goodnight.

The above end of the schedule is my already mentioned concern, I will most definitely start dinner and the evening routine at 5:30pm. But should I get rid of the 430pm feed then?

As a side note- today’s first nap when gloriously. He went down in like a minute or two without any fuss! It’s amazing, and kind of hard to fathom! Life was such a struggle even just two days ago! :?

Thanks in advance!
Son, born Nov 19/2017
mamaA
Rådgivare/advisor

Inlägg av mamaA »

Hi!
I´m a little confused, have you started the cure now? Otherwise don´t use the tolls until the cure.

Please read the cheat sheet on the top of the first page of the english forum, here you find the answer to your questions. The text about little Gustav is most informative regarding the jingle and the confirmation.

Yes, I would skip the 4.30 feed, we want to keep the meals 3-3,5 hours apart so include each breast feed with the meal. Four meals a day + top of before bedtime.
James 11-03-05
Finn 14-09-19
SM-barn så klart!
Gen.Pe

Inlägg av Gen.Pe »

The cure started last night yes. I reported how well it went.

I wanted confirmation on the jingle and if I was doing it correctly since it was asked of me.
Son, born Nov 19/2017
Tin
Rådgivare/advisor

Inlägg av Tin »

Hi,
well first of all, what a wonderful job you guys are doing. And what wonderful results you are getting. Well done mum and bub. =D> =D> =D>
You are on the right track.

The link mamaA is referring to is amazing and you will get an answer to your confirmation jingle and also how to jingle leaving the room, its long, read all of it. I know that it feels hard to get it "right" (we have all been there who is answering questions on this forum). But also know that it is not exactly how you do it that matters but using a full scoop of good and positive attitude. So do read up on the jingle SO that you can jingle with oodles of confidence.
When you are sure, baby will be sure.

hugs Tin :heart:
Lilla O född 2010-02-04 (42+1)
Standardmodellat sedan 13 mars då hon var drygt 4 veckor.

Lilla M född 2012-11-29 (39+0)
SM från början, vad annars ;)
Skriv svar

Återgå till "Anna Wahlgren's Q&A Forum regarding GNS (A Good Night's Sleep)"