Life before and after GNS cure. Please post here.

A parents' forum based on GNS (A Good Night's Sleep)
Skriv svar
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Life before and after GNS cure. Please post here.

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hi, glad you found your way here. Here you can post a short summary of how life was before you found the GNS - A good night's sleep and also send pepping to those you are thinking about doing this. Short or long every story counts.

Welcome!

Torsmamma - Chairwoman of this forum.
Tor 2006
:heart: BB barn från början. Sov sin första 12h natt 5 dagar före 4 mån, Diplomerad SS vid 6 mån
:heart:

:heart: FTLOC child from the beginning. Slept his first 12 hour night 5 days before 4 months. :heart:
loorip

Re: Life before and after GNS cure. Please post here.

Inlägg av loorip »

Life before:
My little sweetheart has never been a good sleeper. I had seen babies who slept when they needed to sleep and they could do it by themselves no matter where and how. But my baby was opposite of those babies. When she was three months, she refused from all day naps. Nights were a bit better. All together she slept about 10-11 hours when she supposed to sleep about 15 hours. Everything else about her was great.
Then I read FLOC and things got a bit better. I dropped night feeding when she was 4 months, but she still didn’t sleep her naps as she supposed and woke up about 4 am from night sleep. She slept her naps when I rocked the carriage and when she woke up at 4 am I could rock for hours, but still no sleeping.
When she was 5 months we were in a dark hole – I haven’t slept for ages, I was cranky and upset, also I constantly nagged with my husband about everything. I didn’t go out, even not for a walk, because I just couldn’t, I was too tired. My baby seemed almost okay, she developed as she supposed to and usually she was in a good mood. But as I was miserable, our doctor suggested that we should sleep train her. Then I remembered that I saw once that FLOC author had written a book about sleep. I started to investigate.
Life after:
We started the cure on 14.04, it was a long weekend and she had a stuffy nose. When I told my husband what we should do during the cure, he thought I was naive and crazy, but he agreed to do anything I want, because we didn’t know what else to do.
During the cure I tried not to think if I will fail or succeed. My only thought was that I have to do absolutely everything I can as said in the book. I even took all night sifts cause I didn’t trust my husband enough for this (I slept when my girl was up and with her daddy).
The first improvement steps were seen on second night, but to be honest it all didn’t go as book said, but our situation improved drastically anyway. She slept from 20 until 6 and woke up 1-3 times per night and the best part was that I was able to put her back to sleep in 5 minutes. No more crying for hours! Also using the same tools and a bit of advice from this forum she also slept her day naps quite well – up during nap 1-2 times, back in sleep in 5 min. Of course I have to say we have had better days/nights and worse ones.
Now 1,5 months later she suddenly started to sleep from 20 until 7 without wakening up and usually she sleeps her day naps as she supposed to (minus 15 minutes sometimes). She even got two teeth now and I haven’t seen any negative change about her sleeping pattern. Also we were on vacation in the Mediterranean and we regularly travel to the countryside to see her grandparents and she still sleeps like at home.

We can’t be happier.

Loori & Saara
Loori

Babygirl was born on 19.09.2016
Gen.Pe

Inlägg av Gen.Pe »

Before the cure? Where to start. Well I am a first time mom like many on here- just trying to figure this whole new adventure out. Everything was going great besides sleeping so naturally eventually I couldn’t take it anymore. I was so irritable, not at all myself, I was unable to smile or play with my son because I was so angry about not being able to rest. I didn’t want to be angry- I knew it wasn’t his fault; but I couldn’t help how I felt. On top of that I found myself jealous over people who had a life, got to rest, even those who got to leave the house with makeup on and clothes without vomit on them. No matter how much I loved my son I began to resent motherhood. I wanted parts of my old life back!

I had thought many many times to hire a sleep trainer. I read up about all the different methods and tricks others had tried. What’s so cool about our journey with the GNS is it happened at the perfect time but by pure divine intervention. I was early for an appointment and there was a library near by so I thought I’d go inside and kill some time. I didn’t really know what I would read but thought there may be something useful on sleep training; since it had been on my mind. I looked in the directory and there was only ONE book available in the whole library. I took it and sat down. Instantly after reading the first few chapters I knew this was IT. Anna really made sense of why babies have a hard time sleeping and whose really to blame. “FINALLY!” I thought. As I continued reading I decided to prep, to keep track of my baby’s schedule so I could actually make one that was predictable. From there I also started to try daytime naps on his tummy. I got a baby monitor that had a breathing alarm too. My biggest concern was the food...was it too early for solids? If every medical professional says wait until 6 months, can I do any damage by listening to Anna (and my own gut for that matter)? My son had all the signs he was ready for solids so I just trusted my instinct and started him on cereal first to see what was what. He loved it. I kept trying new things slowly for about 10 days before the cure. I was happy it was going well but still couldn’t fathom him not eating for 12 hours. I was nervous about that and it was the only thing of this whole process I wasn’t sure about. As I continue to read the book I got more and more committed with each page. I studied that book, I wrote notes. I wasn’t going to keep going with sleep deprivation. I couldn’t. This had to work!

We picked a date to do the cure. I then found this English forum which was soooo helpful. Real live questions!! Someone who can say yes and no to my understandings of the books advice! What’s funny is the book is very simple but detailed as heck (rightfully so). And you can’t go about this cure business all “willy-nilly” it was all or nothing and I did NOT want to get it wrong and ruin my chance at sanity. My shifts of the cure began with eagerness and surprising confidence.

After the cure:
I was shocked. I couldn’t believe that even with the first night it went so well. My son heard the message loud and clear. And I know for a fact he felt as good about the changes as I did. The worry about him starving throughout the night’s surprised me too! In all honesty I was waiting for the wee hours, the hours of the Wolf, where I figured he would be so hungry...then is when the hard work would kick in but nope. It became evident that he was only feeding every few hours each night because it was comforting. He wasn’t really hungry. The second night shift came and a little voice in the back of my head said ok sure last night went well but what if tonight is hell? I banished the insecurity knowing what it could do to our progress. Sure enough the second, third, and fourth night went seamlessly...just as the book had said. Like down to the last detail. I was overjoyed.

My husband since then has thanked me countless times because in a short few weeks our lives have drastically improved all around. So much of Anna’s words make total sense and I cannot believe this book hasn’t gotten more attention. I will forever be an advocate of the GNS cure. You’ll still hear words from the naysayers that tell you “just wait until they start teething or get a cold or reach the sleep regressions you’ll be back to no sleep in no time”. Im not worried!! I know exactly what to do if my son wakes. I know exactly how to calm him. I’m not scared of something waking him anymore because I am confident I can deal with it. The best part? He KNOWS I know. He trusts me fully because I gave him the security he was seeking. I fully agree with learning how to sleep and sleep well is the parents responsibility to give to their child. All these other methods make that responsibility the baby’s...infants who know nothing at this point in life...is ridiculous in my opinion. I also fully agree with us enjoying our children and children enjoying themselves..im thrilled to be “back to my normal self” to be sleeping and waking rested and HAPPY and I am even more thrilled at the fact that I can appreciate my beautiful baby so much more now!

This book is a game changer!!!! Take every word to heart. I know we have and I am forever grateful to Anna Wahlgren [-o< :D
Son, born Nov 19/2017
Another son, born May 16/2020
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Thank you soooo much for your wonderful words! :heart: :heart: :heart:
Tor 2006
:heart: BB barn från början. Sov sin första 12h natt 5 dagar före 4 mån, Diplomerad SS vid 6 mån
:heart:

:heart: FTLOC child from the beginning. Slept his first 12 hour night 5 days before 4 months. :heart:
Skriv svar

Återgå till "Anna Wahlgren's Q&A Forum regarding GNS (A Good Night's Sleep)"