Time schedule resisting second nap

A parents' forum based on GNS (A Good Night's Sleep)
Skriv svar
Judith van Til

Time schedule resisting second nap

Inlägg av Judith van Til »

Hi,

My daughter is almost 11 months and we started the cure well over a month ago. It is going really well, due to her hidden reflux sleeping has always been a battle. Now she sleeps really well except when teething as her reflux gets worse then. But overall we are very happy!! Thank you!

I just have one question regarding her schedule. Lately she has been resisting her second nap. Obviously she is still too young to transition to one nap, but the current schedule is also not working. This was her schedule:

6:30 wakeup & breastfeed
7:30 breakfast
8:45 sleep
10:15 wake up
11:30 lunch
12:30 breastfeed
12:45 sleep
14:15 wake up
15:15 snack
17:30 dinner
19:00 breastfeed
19:15 sleep

Because we have a winter time difference coming up i used the 15min margins to slowly move forward and we are almost there. She wakes up 15min tio early so have been putting her 15mins earlier to bed too.
So now she is sleeping:
7:15 wakeup
9:45 sleep
11:15 Wakeup
13:45 sleep
15:15 wake up
20:00 sleep

When the clocks move backwards next week she Will be Nearly back on her old schedule except for those 15min morning and night.

Do you have any advice concerning her second nap? Should I perhaps change her schedule to only a 45min nap in the morning once the time difference has set in? And if so, at what time should she do this nap?

She is also almost always complaining half an hour before dinner and half an hour before bed. Probably the 5 hour gap is too long?

Thankyou,
Judith
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Re: Time schedule resisting second nap

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hi and welcome!

So my recommendation for schedule would be for you to have 12 hours night! This will solve a lot of nap issues for you. Times that are good could then be:

7:15 wakeup
9:45 sleep 20 min (you can put her tp bed a bit early is she takes time to go to sleep)
10:05 wake up
13:45 sleep
15:15 wake up
19:00 sleep

What do you think about that? :wink:
Tor 2006
:heart: BB barn från början. Sov sin första 12h natt 5 dagar före 4 mån, Diplomerad SS vid 6 mån
:heart:

:heart: FTLOC child from the beginning. Slept his first 12 hour night 5 days before 4 months. :heart:
Judith van Til

Hi,

Thanks, Yes, perhaps that might work. Shouldn't she then sleep 45min in the morning in order to sleep 14.15hrs?

Also between 10:00 and 13:45 is a long time for her to stay awake..

would this also work?

7:00 wakeup
9:30 sleep
10:15 wake up
13:30 sleep
15:00 wake up
19:00 sleep

or do you recommend the 20mins?
going from 1,5hrs to only 20min seems a big gap.

Thanks,
Judith
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hi, You can certainly try 45 min fm nap, if it works great! If not use 20. At this age they sometimes have 20-45 min. But since you are making night 1 hour longer it should work. ;)

Schedule is fine. Try it! :D
Tor 2006
:heart: BB barn från början. Sov sin första 12h natt 5 dagar före 4 mån, Diplomerad SS vid 6 mån

:heart: FTLOC child from the beginning. Slept his first 12 hour night 5 days before 4 months. :heart:
Judith van Til

Hi,

a while ago we had contact about my daughters schedule.

You suggested adding an hour to her night sleep, but she is not adding it.. we have tried everything to get her to go back to sleep. (even resorted back to buffing!, as the jingles and fan did nothing)

now she is sleeping

7pm - 6:15/6:30 - sometimes even 6!!
9:15 - 10:00 (but we almost always have to her wake around 10:15)
13:30 - 15:00 (but we almost always have to her wake around 15:15)

We have tried not giving her the extra 15minutes and waking her up earlier from each nap, hoping that would result at sleeping longer at night, but its not happening. So since it did not result in waking up later, we let her have those 15mins again.

Any suggestions? Or just leave it this way? She is not resisting the second nap anymore, so that problem is solved.

It does mean she is sleeping less than the 14hrs per day. I do feel sometimes she is tired especially when I put her to bed for her first nap, she just conks out.. or, how much sleeps does an nearly 1yearold need?

Judith
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hi Judith,

A 1 year old usually needs about 13,5 hours of sleep/day. To have an 11 hour night is fine. If you want the night to be longer I would put her to bed earlier, not trying to get her to sleep longer in the morning. :wink:

If you are home and she can sleep like you say above and have 11 hours night is ok. Then she will need 3,5 hours of sleep during the day. Something like this might work : 11+1,5+2 (1,5 if she sleeps until 6.30) But I would set the times exactly and not change them from day to day. :D

If she starts daycare and don't get that amount of sleep during the day there then you will most certainly have to revise regarding the nights.

It is more common that children have their built in clock set to 18-06 rather than 20-08 :wink:
Tor 2006

Skriv svar

Återgå till "Anna Wahlgren's Q&A Forum regarding GNS (A Good Night's Sleep)"