early bird how liks long story telling befor sleeping

A parents' forum based on GNS (A Good Night's Sleep)
Skriv svar
juju

early bird how liks long story telling befor sleeping

Inlägg av juju »

Hi!

First of all: thank you for this book! And for the work all of you doing here, it’s fantastic!
We’ve been doing the program with our 8 months old son for 4 weeks now. We had ups and downs but were always improving. Now we got stuck…

We have an 11 hours night in mind due to the situation that he wakes up very early in the morning.
At night (he goes to bed at 7) it always takes about 20-30 minutes until he falls asleep. He laughs when he goes to bed, he lies down calmly, we start the jingle very well, but, then the protests start. Sometimes he cries a little and then usually begins to tell stories, talking and making a lot of noises (he seems happy when he´s telling). Lately he knees on his bed holding the grate of his bed to tell his stories. I go on with the jingle until he falls asleep (at 7:20 or 7:30).

Usually he wakes up at 5:00 – 5:30 and wants to start the day. We don’t… We make noise, play Mozart and he complains all the time. When he stars to cry desperately, we can’t stand it anymore and take him out of his bed. Usually this is at 6 in the morning. At that time he always has his pans full and is hungry. We think the full diaper and hunger are the reasons for his early waking up. But, it might also be that if he would sleep longer he wouldn’t have his diaper full and be so hungry…

Depending on his speech in the night and his waking up, he sleeps for about 10 to 10,5 hours. That’s less than we desire. During the day, he sleeps 2 times 1,5 hours and makes a 20 minutes powernap in his baby buggy.

I would like to know, how could I extend his night. If there is a solution for his early waking up. Also, if he could fall asleep faster in the evening, without having to tell us so many stories :D

I darkened he’s room as much as possible (aluminum paper, tape…) but there is a thin little bit of light still coming in thru the door which we live open, to hear him.

(story telling night and day)

Kind Regards,
JUJU
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Re: early bird how liks long story telling befor sleeping

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hello JUJU and welcome! :D

So what is your schedule like during the day? I need times and food. He will need to eat LOTS and LOTS of food during the day. Preferrably you can give him prunes/Kiwi/Pear in the morning with porridge to make his belly start in the morning and then give stopping foods like applesauce and rise in the evening.

What you can do usually these advise is enough to get the stomach to have a better rhythm.

If he still wakes up, you then have a couple of choises as I see it. Either nothing since nothing happens at night, OR, you enter the dark room change the diper quickly in the dark and jingle him back to sleep preferably with the door closed. Act like nothing happened. Then you make him go back to sleep. Many will go back without the change but a few won’t so until his stomach has better rhythm you can do this. And then you have moring at 07.00 with the alarmclock.

Regarding talking at night time.. there isn’t much you can do about this, he is happy and needs to talk a bit before going to sleep. It is his private time/life, this you need to accept. When my son was like this I put him to bet a bit earlier (about 30 mins) Close the door is my tip. You will hear what you need to hear, I promise.

How much laughing do you have during the going to be procedure? He needs to laugh hard for at least 10-15 minutes before you enter the bedroom. Put him down like an airplane POOF down and leave with the most happy jingle you can do X4. REALLY HAPPY! Putting him to bed should not take more than 30 seconds.

Also he needs to be outside crawling for at least 45-60 min in the morning and the same in the afternoon. In a park or forrest.

Get back to me with more info and I will assist you.
Tor 2006
:heart: BB barn från början. Sov sin första 12h natt 5 dagar före 4 mån, Diplomerad SS vid 6 mån
:heart:

:heart: FTLOC child from the beginning. Slept his first 12 hour night 5 days before 4 months. :heart:
juju

Inlägg av juju »

Hi TorsMamma,
Thank you for your assistance.

The schedule is:
6.00 good morning and a bottle-milk I stopped with breast feeding when he got 7 month old)
7.00- 9.00 we feed the animals pick up some veggies in the garden and/ or go for a walk with the buggy.
9.00 milk
9.15 -10.45 nap (1,5h)
10.45 lunch (potato or noodles or rice or polenta mixed with veggies, meat, bit of oil and applesauce)
First bit of washing and playing in the sink then playing and crawling in the house
12.15-13.45 nap (1,5h)
14.00 snack (oats with banana and other fruits)
Afterwards playing and crawling in the house
16.00 we start for another walk
16.15-16.35 powernap in the baby buggy
17.00 dinner (applesauce with porridge or milk rice)
18.00 bath, milk, good night laugh
19.00 bed

And for better understanding: We live in southern Brazil on a farm. My husband is Brazilian I´m Swiss. Lars, our son, is most of the time :thumbsup:, too hot for clothes :lol:

He often drinks very badly, in our opinion not enough (between 60 and 110 ml, sometimes 150 or 180ml). Since his birth, he drinks often but little. A couple of weeks ago he started to get impatient by drinking in my arms, now I lie him down on the bed. He starts drinking calmly, but after a short time he turns and begins to play or crawling. It is quite a work to bring him back in a drinking position, but after little protest he continues drinking, sometimes more sometimes less.
We started to distract him while his drinking, with finger games, hair, toys….
Same situation with food. He loves eating, but not for long time, after 15 min he gets impatient. We usually make a short brake, 1-3 minutes (he remains in his chair, but we do something else, like talking, pantomime…) and then we continue. Usually he eat about 20 – 30 minutes, a mug full (240-300g). In the beginning he ate also some dessert, but since I increased the amount of the main dish he refuses to eat more afterwards. During the meals and in the afternoon I offer him water, but he drinks very little 10ml (2 times on very hot days he drunk 40ml). Is this normal?

After the bath we play in the parent’s room, mostly on the bed, where we also drink the milk. The laugh is jumping or fling into his room, then into his bed (until there he is only smiling), then I lie him down tickle and kiss him on his belly, then he stars laughing. Took only about a minute… #-o
I let him crawling a lot in the house. We have a really big house ;), he gets tired after about 40min, and then we chill.
I haven´t allowed yet to crawl outside, I´m a bit afraid about the dog´s hair (worm’s) everywhere (they aren´t allowed to come in to the house), toxic plants and insects. He puts everything in his mouth. So, I thought that’s not fun for him when I intervene every second.
The last month I also went out only until 9 am, and after 6pm, the sun was very strong.

There are some more things…:
We changed the jingle a week ago, because we finally (shame on me :oops: ) found out, that we shouldn’t jingle with his name.
We changed dinner time 3 days ago, hoping that he drinks more milk before sleeping (until now this didn´t really happened). Before dinner was at 17.30

And more questions :?
Shall I jingle during his speech?
When he stands up in his bed, he can´t get back into a lying position. Either he starts crying or he falls on his back and cry’s. This we repeat a few times before sleeping. How should I react?

New schedule, what do you think?:
6.30 milk
7.30 porridge with fruits
9.30-10.15 nap (45min)
10.45 lunch
12.15-13.45 nap (1,5h)
14.00 snack
16.15-16.35 nap
17.00 dinner (milk rice)
17.30 bath, milk laugh
18.30 sleep
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hi,

Many thanks for your explanations! :D

Ok, my thoughts about this is as follows… I don’t think he gets enough food during the day! :wink: He needs more meat, chicken and fish. 2 real meals with veggies and meat and lots of butter or olive oil. AND; on top of this you need to start with fingerfoods while you feed him. :P Like you noticed you only have about 15 min at the most 30 to get all food in, which is very common. So you need to feed him fast, fast, fast. Put food in his mouth before he even has swallowed. Fingerfoods like cheese cubes, avocado cubes, corn, peas, chick peas and so on, something he can put in his mouth on his own, like you say he is very “Oral” they are at this time in their lives. My son would sit in the sandbox eating sand and rocks. :roll: :lol: So he needs to get an outlet for this when eating. Then you quickly put food in as fast as you can. (yes food has lots of liquids so don’t worry, fruit is almost 80% water)

And always keep a cup/bottle of water and offer between meals and they will drink what they need. Great with a farm, please see what you can do to let him assist and participate, you won’t be able to protect him for 18 years. :lol: So teach him HOW to do things in life, see yourself as the teacher of life, how does things work?

Now regarding your schedule, these are my thoughts. The lunch is a bit too early for midday nap. Move it about 30 min and he will also be a bit more hungry.

6.30 milk
7.30 porridge with fruits (here you give him prunes/kiwi/pear LOTS)
9.30-10.15 nap (45min)
11.30 lunch (real food with lots of real butter or olive oil and after 30 min 1 whole banana)
12.30-14.00 nap (1,5h)
14.30 snack (here you give apple which is stopping)
16.25-16.30 nap Give him only 5 min here
17.00 dinner (real dinner with the family food)
17.30 bath
18.00 milk laugh (outside the room)
18.30 sleep

Now standing up in bed is his time, his private time. Here you need to listen to the sound!! LISTEN HARD, when you hear him truly sad and begging for help, THEN you enter and help him down. If you enter the room more than 2 times to put him down, he really didn’t need your help. During the day you practice this new task, standing up and teaching him to learn how to sit down himself. 10 times/5 min/day.
If he falls you will need to pad the crib so he can’t get hurt in his head if he falls. Sometimes an extra cheap mattress is enough to put in the bed. This is later useful for when he learns to climb out of bed too. :D

If you re-read the GNS book you have a small chapter about “Tor” 8 or 9 months where I talk about our day and schedule. (That is me! :D ) Use it for inspiration!
Tor 2006
:heart: BB barn från början. Sov sin första 12h natt 5 dagar före 4 mån, Diplomerad SS vid 6 mån

:heart: FTLOC child from the beginning. Slept his first 12 hour night 5 days before 4 months. :heart:
juju

Inlägg av juju »

Thank´s a lot!!!
I realy appreciate that.

still got some doubts :)
Snack: only apple or with some grains or bred?
Dinner: Like lunch?
Fingerfood: Is there something I have to worry about? He has no teeth yet. I gave him already carrots, cucumber and apple… but last time I gave apple, a little piece got stuck in his throat, and he vomited badly (same story happened with cooked beetroot)… so shall I just continue, like: learning by doing :wink: or are there some easier things to start.
GNS book: I have it in German, do you know if, it is also “Tor”. Chap. 8-10 Month is a long story about Hans, the one who needed a Helm. Or is it Torben, who eats with the family?
Well I will re-read it :D
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hi,

Ok so no teeth means soft things you can crush with your mouth. Like avocado, peas, boiled tiny pieces he can use his small fingers to pick up, tiny cooked carrots, corn and so on. Just cook it an serve soft. Like 1X1 cm. Fruit can be given as puree for now. I would half a pear take the peel off and the core and put it in the freezer than take out and serve, it is like sorbet.

I would guess the chapter about Torben sounds right who eats with his family. That is us! Eating is not just food but a social occasion. :D

Yes dinner same as lunch, or take your own food and mash it without the salt and extra butter and olive oil. You also need to learn the baby Heimlich maneuver and baby CPR, I went to class… I this winter also saved a 1 years olds life at a fair when she put a piece of hotdog in her throat and did the baby Heimlich on her. So this is necessary for all parents in my mind. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlIknKErzV0
Tor 2006

juju

Inlägg av juju »

Hi Torsmamma

Phuu finally found some time to answer you.

Thanks again! I also thought about doing a “baby-rescue-training”, the next doctor is a few km away from where I live. This week I´ll fly, for the first time, with Lars to Switzerland (hope he will sleep well in the air plain :? ). I´m sure to find a training there, where I can participate.

So how we are going:
A short time he slept about 11 and 11,5 h, now he´s back to 10,5h :D
We worked with 45min sleep in the morning for about 10 days, but he seemed not very happy, was always tired and complaining (because he didn´t get enough sleep at night).
So we are back to 1,5 min in the morning and 1,5 after lunch. In the afternoon he doesn’t sleep anymore. We will try in a few weeks again with the 12h night.

Lars is a very serious person :wink: we work hard to get him laugh for 10min :wink: But, he goes better to bed, now. Sometimes he still complains for about 1-2min then he talks about 5-10 min, but all in all it takes about 7min (better the 30min). We keep on working.

We also changed the menu and hours (like you proposed) and it works well.

Thanks anyway
juju
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

As long as you are all happy and it works for you! :mrgreen: =D> 8)
Tor 2006

Skriv svar

Återgå till "Anna Wahlgren's Q&A Forum regarding GNS (A Good Night's Sleep)"