Need your help - failed

A parents' forum based on GNS (A Good Night's Sleep)
Skriv svar
-Tilda-

Need your help - failed

Inlägg av -Tilda- »

Hi,

First of all thank you for the forum and the book. I have one 3.5 year old boy to whom I first did the cure and it was a success back then. But now I have a daughter Edith who is 9 months and I am trying to do the same.

I started the cure last Friday and the two first nights were a success. First night it took Edith about 30 minutes to fall a sleep and during the night she was awake for 2 hours. On the second night she fell asleep in 2 minutes and during the night she fell asleep by herself already with only the jingle. During the morning hours she was awake for a longer time.

But on the third day she had a fever of 39. She had roseola where you have a fever first for 3-5 days and then you have a rash. She was quite miserable during the days and during the nights did not fall asleep with the jingle easily but screemed helplessly. Since she had high fever I had to give her water and pain killers during the night.

Now the fever is gone and so is our successfull cure. She starts to cry the minute we step into her room when going to sleep and also during the day nap time the minute she sees the pram. Last night it took her 45min to fall asleep. The beginning went so well that I am thinking whether I used only the jingle too soon..? How should we continue from here?

The other problem that I am having is the daily routine. She used to sleep 2 naps of 2-3 hours each and I cut them to 45 min and 2 hours. Now since she has not slept well during the nights and since the daily naps have been short she is deadly tired. I gave her a longer nap on the afternoon when she had fever but still she is tired all the time. Our daily routine below:

7.15 Wake up and milk
8.00 Breakfast
9.30-10.15 morning nap
11.00 Lunch
12.45-14.45 Afternoon nap
15.00 Snack
17.00 Meal
19.00 Pourridge and milk
19.30 Bed time

How would you advice us to carry on? Should we start again from the beginning?

Thank you for your quick reply.

Tilda
Sarisparis
Rådgivare/advisor

Re: Need your help - failed

Inlägg av Sarisparis »

Hi -Tilda- and congratulations to your great job with the cure(s). =D>

Being sick often turns things upside down. More sleep is needed and the schedule might disappear for a while.

My advice is to simply start over. She knows what it's all about, and I think she will be quite relieved by your firm and kind attitude. I bet the cure will be even more easy this time.

So, back to the back, repeat especially The Safari and the Security chapter and get your self started, for all of you. And never ever forget the Bedtime Laugh.

I do not know if you are familiar with Annas book about childrearing, from 0 to 16 years old, "For the Love of Children"? One of the most important messages in that book is what Anna calls "social participation", that is to involve your child in your daily work at home. Let her take part in your tasks, cleaning, cooking etc. And thank her, every time. When she feels that she is needed in the family, that her participation matters, she will be more able to consider going to bed as a simple pause, not as a reject. See what I mean? To get some inspiration, take a look at this lovely film with one of the mums of the forum and her daughter.

http://www.annawahlgren.com/index.php/v ... samarbetar

:heart:
-Tilda-

Inlägg av -Tilda- »

Hi Sarisparis!

Thank you very much for your quick answer. I repeated the security chapter and I realized that it is so true - the moment I became insecure so did the baby.

So I collected my own security again and as you adviced we started over last night. Edith fell asleep in 10 minutes. She woke up shortly at 3, 4, 6 and 6.15, but at 6.30 she would not fall asleep any more. I went in a couple of times for buffying and also jingled and finally but some Mozart on the background. It helped us until 7.00 when I decided that it is time to wake up. Any advice for the early mornings?

I am still thinking of the nap lenghts.. I am thinking of lenghtening the morning nap to 1.5 hours.

Last night I especially paid attention to the laughter time. It is just not that easy when she is sooo tired, but I think it will become easier when she gets used to the schedule.

The film about helping in the house was great! :) I am familiar with the concept and Edith's special chore is emptying the drier from clothes. Thanks for reminding me. :)

Tilda
Sarisparis
Rådgivare/advisor

Inlägg av Sarisparis »

Your Attitude glows from my screen, well done! :thumbsup:

It's getting late, so I will take a fast track :oops: to get you something to think about regarding the early mornings. So, here we go, please take a look at the thread Suddenly waking up at 5 / 5:30 AM!!.

:heart:
Skriv svar

Återgå till "Anna Wahlgren's Q&A Forum regarding GNS (A Good Night's Sleep)"