Suddenly waking up at 5/5:30 AM !!

A parents' forum based on GNS (A Good Night's Sleep)
Skriv svar
Shoola

Suddenly waking up at 5/5:30 AM !!

Inlägg av Shoola »

Hi
I'm the mother of Gur, he is 9.5 months (I wrote the post "change in day naps"), we are doing great with GNS since he is 3.5months.

Until he was 8 months he slept straight 12 hours at night, most of the day naps, sometimes he questioned the long nap. (the problems always happens when he needed a change).

At 8 months he started to wake up at 5:15 crying (instead of 7am)& he also slept only 45 min instead of 2 in the long nap... Anna wrote on page 146 that when it happens it means that there is too much day sleep.
He had 12+45+20+2, I changed it to 12+20+20+2... it didn't work & he questioned all of the naps & the all day was around to make him sleep :cry:

I decided to make the 2 short naps to one. because he was waking up at 5 /5:30 I changed the waking up time to 6am from 7am so it will be more realistic.

6:00 waking up, breast
7:45 real breakfast with family
9:15-10 45min nap in carriage
10:15 fruits
12:45 vegetables & meat or fish +porridge or breast
13:30 - 15:30 2 hours nap (sometimes he sleeps only 1.5 hours)
15:30 breast + real food
18 porridge
18:15 - 19:00 bath, fun & topup breast

so it's 11+45+2

The problem is that he still wakes up every night at 5:15/5:30 am :cry:
jingle is not helpful here, it only ticks him because he wants to get out... he also woke up at around 2/3 am but put himself to sleep quickly. I thought it was the combination of new teethes, 8 months anxiety & he is also grew up a lot physically & mentally that brought back the hours of the wolves. But now the time has passed & it became a big issue.

Because he is waking up so early he is soooo tierd :cry: :cry: :cry:
He sleeps all of the day naps... he crashes into them, soooo tierd.
these last few days he is too tierd & fall asleep in my hands :shock:
it never happened before.
I don't know what to do, it seems that it's too much for him & he need to go back to the old schedule with the 3 naps...but he is turning 10 months in 2 weeks & it's too much naps... I don't know what to do.

Please help :!: :!: :!:
How do I bring 6:30/7:00 am back???
I know that if he would go back to wake up later he can manage the 2 naps.

Thank you!

P.S.
His schedule is not a classic , I've tried the classics & they didn't work. It wasn't right for Gur, he cried half of the day naps & I was finishing my days feeling like crap...
I have followed his tendencies & got inspired from the 5 month old schedule sample Anna wrote (page 145). I decided the hours & the day I started he loved it - from day one less crying & better nights.
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Re: Suddenly waking up at 5/5:30 AM !!

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hi and welcome back! :D

How dark is the bedroom? Spring is on its way and it is imperative that the bedroom is absolutely pitch black, you should not be able to see the hand in front of you during the day.

The schedules with naps looks good now with 2 naps, you should not have more. However I think you can try to put him to bed 30 min earlier for a week or so. Earlier bed can only give longer mornings.

Then I wonder if you have a wakeup clock to introduce? You set the alarm to 06 in the morning, put the clock outside the bedroom door. Then when it rings you bring it in and let him either turn it off or you turn it off in front of him. He needs to understand that the clock decides when it is morning, not him.

Then for say 1-2 nights, you go in and give a LOOOOOONG sun feather when he wakes up at 05. It can easily take more than 45 min, standing there quiet. When he is sleeping you count to 100 calmly and then exit the room with the softest confirmation jingle possible always X4. He needs to understand that you go back to sleep until clock rings. Then you wake him up with the clock.

Then after that you use the jingle right away you hear him and then play Mozart or Strauss on HIGH volume, He will know by then that morning is when clock rings.

Lets call this the morning cure. But you need to do all the above, not just some.
Tor 2006
:heart: BB barn från början. Sov sin första 12h natt 5 dagar före 4 mån, Diplomerad SS vid 6 mån
:heart:

:heart: FTLOC child from the beginning. Slept his first 12 hour night 5 days before 4 months. :heart:
Shoola

Inlägg av Shoola »

Hi TorsMamma
Thank you!
I haven't got any email that there is a reply so I just read your answer now ...

While I was waiting I decided to give him extra 20 min nap at 11:30, sadly he couldn't function with the 2 nap schedule, he stated to fall a sleep in my armes few times & I thought it's crazy :cry:
The extra nap made him very happy, he got lively again & he stopped waking up at 2/3 am =D>
A day after he got the flu... (he still sick)
He woke up twice after 6 but all the rest at around 5:15. Than he tries to put himself to sleep & I jingle but it doesn't help. At around 5:45- 6 am I take him out.

The room is of course pitch black, it's like that since he is 3.5 months.
What is "LOOOOOONG sun feather " ? fanning?
What do you mean by standing there quiet?
I do not fan or buff at all, I only jingle. Since he learned to stand there is no way to do it.. it becomes like a straggle & he get soooo upset. I do not go in unless it's for wakeup.
So I only jingle, most of the times it helps.

As for music/noise at early mornings, this can not work with us. He go to sleep with music & he has no problem with noise. But early morning noise means waking up.
I tried music before, it upsets him, me, my husband, the neighbours.. no can do :))

The alarm clock is a good idea, I can do this but what about all the rest?

I have a dilema every morning. Should I jingle the minute he start to make noise or wait only after a while?
Sometimes he managed to put himself to sleep or he is quiet & only every few minutes talking..my concern is that the jingle will wake him up & will upset him.
So most of the days I wait. Today I was thinking maybe I should have jingle the minute he start...?
What do you say?

Thank you so much for your time!!!
Sarisparis
Rådgivare/advisor

Inlägg av Sarisparis »

Early mornings can indeed be quite tricky. =P~ :roll:
TorsMamma skrev:Then for say 1-2 nights, you go in and give a LOOOOOONG sun feather when he wakes up at 05. It can easily take more than 45 min, standing there quiet. When he is sleeping you count to 100 calmly and then exit the room with the softest confirmation jingle possible always X4. He needs to understand that you go back to sleep until clock rings. Then you wake him up with the clock.
What TorsMamma ment with "looong sun feather" is indeed fanning. But a really long one, until the baby goes to sleep. When fanning, stand quiet. You might want to do some yoga breathing, to be really really calm inside. :lol:

The idea is to get the child back to sleep. It can be enough with one or two mornings like this, for the child to understand that even he/she wakes up, night isn't over.

The alarm clock tells when morning comes. :thumbsup:

:heart:
Skriv svar

Återgå till "Anna Wahlgren's Q&A Forum regarding GNS (A Good Night's Sleep)"