bowel movement at night - what to do?

A parents' forum based on GNS (A Good Night's Sleep)
Skriv svar
ninays

bowel movement at night - what to do?

Inlägg av ninays »

dear all,

it is now over a month that I have started the cure. I am so glad about the book and the support within the forum. I think I have told all my friends how proud I am and that this makes life very different.

My friend has a baby and is also considering to start the cure. However, she was worried what to do when her daughter has a bowel movement at night (what she tends to do regularly).
As I had two very bad nights (which surprised me) I also was faced with the issue that my daughter hat a bowel movement and I was wondering if this might have caused the trouble during the night (she woke at 8 in the evening and 4 times starting at 3 in the morning).

Does anyone of you have experience with this topic?

I am sure I can not always go in when she cries and smell if she did something?

Does it actually bother babies?

My other hypothesis is that the nights were bad as she got her first theeth...although the book says that this should not cause any trouble?

Or do I remember correctly that after a while they re-check on you if you really mean to be as strict as you are...like testing?

It would be great to have your answers/assumptions! :lol:

Thank you in advance,
Nina
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Re: bowel movement at night - what to do?

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hi,

So having bowel movements early in the morning (say 4 am) is very common. Some people just put a lot of lotion on the rear and let them go back to sleep. The book when you read it says you can go in the dark, change quickly in the dark in the bed, don’t pick them up. En exit like nothing happened, with the jingle.

When they start sleeping through the night they will stop doing this as well. Some children pooh more when they get teeth, what we say is that is doesn’t hurt. There is no pain involved but some itching might be there.

Give proons in the morning and apples before night will stabilize the stomach a bit in the beginning.
Tor 2006
:heart: BB barn från början. Sov sin första 12h natt 5 dagar före 4 mån, Diplomerad SS vid 6 mån
:heart:

:heart: FTLOC child from the beginning. Slept his first 12 hour night 5 days before 4 months. :heart:
ninays

Inlägg av ninays »

Dear TorsMamma,

I think I should constantly go back to the book and re-read.
I will apply the tipp with the prune and apple.
The trick with the Banana before lunch (which I got in the forum) also worked quite well.
Maybe this answer helps also my friend to be more confident about starting the cure. :P

Why my daughter started to wake up more and more :cry: might be due to diffierent reasons but I will just remain confident and hope for her to stop poohing at night and sleep tight soon again.

Somehow it is a bit funny to talk about bowel movement online but life is always good for surprises :mrgreen:

Bit THANKS again,
Nina
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

:D =D> Keep up the attitude! :heart:
Tor 2006
:heart: BB barn från början. Sov sin första 12h natt 5 dagar före 4 mån, Diplomerad SS vid 6 mån

:heart: FTLOC child from the beginning. Slept his first 12 hour night 5 days before 4 months. :heart:
ninays

Inlägg av ninays »

:) thank you!

But one thing I have decided today: I changed her routine according to one example from the book (Amanda 10month but to keep her 20min nap).
I always had the feeling that the morning was not structured right and maybe I can also gain additional confidence by adapting her routine.
Old:

7 get up / Breakfast (breast feeding and fruits)
8:45 - 9:30 nap
9:40 fruits
11:30 lunch
12:15-14:15 nap
14:30 afternoon food
16:00 - 16:20 nap
17:30 dinner
18:00 - 19:00 nath, fun, good night drink, sleep

New

7 breakfast remains
8:45 - 9:30 sleep remains
10:30 lunch (new)
12:00-13:30 nap, shorter as she turned 7month today
14:00 afternoon food
16:00 - 16:20 nap
17:30 dinner
18:00 - 19:00 nath, fun, good night drink, sleep

I had once changed the routine already slightly but I am sure she can handle this as well...as long as I am confident that this is better :)

Somehow it makes me feel more at ease as it is more according to Anna's propsed feeding times (gab of 3.5 up to 4 hours).

Well, I write it down here as I find it extremly helpful to read things from other mothers/fathers.

:mrgreen:

Food time...of I go
Nina
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hi Nina,

Are you sure the schedule is for a 10 month old. I only have 2 naps when they are 10 months. But the one you show me above is for a 8 month old.

For a 7 month the schedule you have at the bottom it is perfect! :D
Tor 2006

ninays

Inlägg av ninays »

Hi Torsmamma,

great to hear that the one at the bottom is perfect :) this is basically the one from the book (10month old baby) + the 20min nap in the afternoon.

The one above (labelled old) was the one I was using (15hours sleep). Why is it for an 8month old? Would be great to know so I understand the differences better. I get the hang of it but it seems I am not there yet. :P

Soooo happy to have you reply! God I feel really confident now :)

bathing time
Nina
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hi,

Since I don't read German I can't speak for that book but the hours of sleep needed for 7+8 month old is 14,5 where as 9-11 month old has 14 hours.

7+8 has 2 naps and 9-11 months has only 2 naps.

(at 9 months the last nap of 20 mins falls off and then it becomes 2 naps)
:D
Tor 2006

ninays

Inlägg av ninays »

:P just some quick feedback: Yeasterday night she managed woke up three times but with a bit of jingleing (do not know who we say it in english) she managed to get to 7 o'clock and I was the happiest person and she was happy as well.
Today she managed to sleep until 6:30 without waking up.
Thanks for you help and giving me confidence...
I am sure things will be a lot better now. She seems far more happy with the new routine.
All the best
Nina
Skriv svar

Återgå till "Anna Wahlgren's Q&A Forum regarding GNS (A Good Night's Sleep)"