Baby wakes up crying / change the routine? (6 month baby)

A parents' forum based on GNS (A Good Night's Sleep)
Skriv svar
ninays

Baby wakes up crying / change the routine? (6 month baby)

Inlägg av ninays »

dear all

since four days I follow a routine and my daughter (5 month and three weeks) reacts well on the routine. She sleped from 7:30 to 6:15 the whole night.

But she always wakes up approx 15 min before the sleeping time is over and crys a lot and I wonder how long I should try to put her back a sleep (but she also crys 15 min before she falls asleep). Currently I pick her up crying what I should not do.

Her routine is

6: 30 wake and eat
8-9 sleep
9.30 breast feed
11:45 eat
12:30-14-30 sleep
15:00 breast feed
16:30-17:30 sleep
18:30 dinner
19 bath
19:30 bed time

I should not have scheduled 1h naps but I totally forgot that the sleep time should be 45min...
Should I change the routine?
Should I wait some time and change the routine?
What do I do when she wakes up crying!

It would be great if someone could help me!
Thank you in advance
Nina
matildur

Re: Baby wakes up crying / change the routine? (6 month baby

Inlägg av matildur »

Dear Nina,
I think you have the answere yourself...
It is extremely normal for babies to have a 45 mins sleeping cykle, so you would be making it a lot easier for both of you if you changed the routine and let her sleep either 45 mins or 1,5 h.

I know there are good examples of routines for 6 months babies on this Forum.
Do you need help finding one? Hard if you don't know any Swedish :lol:
Son i januari 2007
Dotter i augusti 2009
Sarisparis
Rådgivare/advisor

Inlägg av Sarisparis »

Welcome Ninay, I hope you will like it here at Anna's forum. :D

You have made a great decision installing routines with your daughter, good for her and god for you. :thumbsup:

:?: Is it the GNS cure you have in mind, or the standard model from the book "The Love of Children"? The answers to what to do when you wakes up crying might differ a little depending on your way of doing things.

As matildur :heart: says, it's preferable to have 45min naps (or 20, 1h30, 2h or 3h) as most babies are easy to wake after such sleep periods. The sleeping need at 6 months is approx 15 hours, so a good schedule could be something like 11 + 45 + 2 + 20.

Let's start here, tell us what you have in mind (the cure or the standard model) and we'll take it from there.

:heart:
Sarisparis
Rådgivare/advisor

Inlägg av Sarisparis »

#-o me and maths... :lol:

A good schedule should have approx 15 sleeping hours, so do the maths your self trying to respect the sleeping cycles.
For instance 12 + 45 + 2 + 20 = approx 15 right :?: :roll: :P

ninays

Inlägg av ninays »

Thank you so much for replying. It is great to know that there is some help.

I am not sure which model I am following as I have the german book. But I think it is the standard model as I never read anything related to cure. Is there a way to identify which method I am following?

I am more than happy to change her time but I wonder
--> can I start tomorrow or do I have to wait as I just started the routine?
--> Or should I change it step by step?
--> Today she is 5 month and 4 weeks and hence very soon 6 month. So should I maybe wait until she is 6 month?

It would be great to have your guidance here. Additionally I will think of a new routine.

Thank you soooo much.
Nina
ninays

Inlägg av ninays »

dear matildur,

it would be great if you helped me finding some examples of routines for 6 month old babies. I think I have made about 100 examples and eventually (due to sleep deprivation :cry: I did a mistake with the hours...ufff).

do you think it will harm her night sleep if I change the routine or will she accept the new routine rather soon?

have a great evening.
nina
ninays

Inlägg av ninays »

ok, i tried to adapt her routine now and tried to stay as similar to the current one as possible:

7:30 wake up and breast feed (12 hours)
8:40 - 9:00 nap (20 min)
9:05 (maybe a bit of breast as I think she can not manage to the next food session)
11:00 lunch (vegetable, potato, meat mix)
12:00 -14:00 nap (2hours)
14:30 food
16:30- 17:15 nap (45min)
18:00 dinner
18:30 bath
19:00 breast feeding
19:30 sleep

As I read food should have approx 3-4 hours gap...Is there a good rule how to schedule the naps?

My worry so far she never managed to go over 6:30 but as I saw the method works and I should make it work :)

Looking forward to your reply
Nina
Sarisparis
Rådgivare/advisor

Inlägg av Sarisparis »

Hi again :D

When you say the German book, do you mean "die durchschlafkur" or "das kinderbuch"?

I would suggest you go into the cure, "all in", in order to set not only great routines once and for all but also the famous jingle. Does this speak to you?

Some general thoughts :D

:idea: Most babies are sleepier in the morning and manage better longer periods awake in the afternoon. Hence it might be a good idea to have the 20m nap in the afternoon and the 45m in the morning.

:idea: People aged of 6 months are HUNGRY :shock: Let her say stop at every meal, but only after you have served the whole menu (starters, main course, dessert... =P~ "metamorphogically" speaking, but not only :wink: ) Keep the breastfeeding as often as you like (but only when it's mealtime), but consider as "drinking" not "eating". She needs steady meals at every meal. 8)

:idea: Make sure her room is PITCH dark during the night. That is of extreme importance regarding her early waking hour in the morning.

:idea: If you decide to do the cure it is capital that you study the book (die durchschlafkur) thoroughly. And even if you do not choose to do the cure, please read about the cure here at the forum. The cure is based on Peace, Security and Pleasure, great fondation for a good life even without the cure. :P And "Die Safari" is just amazing. So start by some reading, your daughter will be so happy to have a confident mum leading the way. :heart:

:?: If you're German, do you know there's a specific German section here at the forum?

matildur

Inlägg av matildur »

Dear Nina,
I'm not an expert at all, so listen to Sparisparis and the other experts, but I promised to look up some examples of routines for children in the same age as your baby.
Here are two classical SLEEPING roitunes mor 6 months:
12h-45mins-2h-20mins
12h-45mins-1,5h-45mins

I hope they can be of any help.

And I too think it might be smarter to have the shortest nap of 20 mins in the afternoon instead of the morning, as most babies are so sleepy in the morning...
I'm sure you can choose any day to get started and just do the new routine with an attitude!

Good luck!
Son i januari 2007
Dotter i augusti 2009
ninays

Inlägg av ninays »

Thank you again for your promt reply :D

Yes, I have got the book the "Das Durchschlafbuch". I have also read it a couple of times. And I see why it is soo important to read it a lot and constantly.
Unfortunately, (or good), I have already started with the routine/cure 5 days ago. Even with the "not so good" routine I have great achievements. My daughter stoped to drink during the night (which she did every 2 hours) and slept from 7:30 to 6:15 two nights now . However, I realised that something is not right as she always woke up crying or nearly falls asleep during the day and I have to keep her awake which is rather hard.

I take in your great feedback an will proceed the following:
1) We have to return home (did the cure at my parents place to get some help during the day) tomorrow...this means she will be irritated anyhow tomorrow as we have to fly. Until tomorrow I follow the existing routine.

2) The new routine will be:
7:30 get up/breast feed (12h)
9:00 - 9:45 sleep (45 min)
11:00 lunch with breast feeding afterwards
12:00 - 14:00 nap (2h)
14:30 food with a bit of breast feeding afterwards
16:30 - 16:50 nap (20 min)
18:00 dinner
18:30 bath or just playing around
19:00 breast feeding
19:30 going to bed

I hope she will accept the new routine rather soon but she has reacted rather well on the "not so good" routine so my husband and I seem to do someting right :D

Thank you for the advice on the german forum...unfortunaltely no one is replying there and I was more than happy to realise that this one here is active and someone is replying (I have so far no exprience with forums what so ever).

I will continue to read to book and to keep my mood up and sunny, make my daughter smile and enjoy every moment.

It still would be great to hear if it makes sense to start the new routine when we are back home (it will be very dark in her room and all events for the next weeks are cancelled including a wedding).

Have a great day,
Nina
Sarisparis
Rådgivare/advisor

Inlägg av Sarisparis »

Thanks, now things are getting clearer. :D
ninays skrev:Thank you for the advice on the german forum...unfortunaltely no one is replying there and I was more than happy to realise that this one here is active and someone is replying (I have so far no exprience with forums what so ever).
Our forum rule is that no post should be left without an answer for more than three days, so the first thing to learn is patience. Very useful as a parent too :shock: :lol: Sometimes we're more reactive, it depends. None of us is working here, we are all regular mums spending time at the forum when we have some time for ourselves. Very nice company during coffee breaks. :wink:

matildur, none of us answering here are 'experts', but only regular mums having ourselves been helped by Annas books and here at the forum. Thank you for your input and please stay with us. :D The more the merrier, especially as we all have our own way of interpreting Annas books. :P

ninay, before I forgot, if you like "Das Durchschlafbuch" I'm pretty sure you would like the "kinderbuch". It's an amazing book about children, from 0 to 16 years. I have learned a lot about myself reading it. Get a copy! :D
ninays skrev:Even with the "not so good" routine I have great achievements.
I bet your daughter is responding so well on your "not so good" routine because of your great Attitude. :thumbsup: =D>

If I were you, I would consider tomorrow (travel day) as "off", you will not be able to follow the routines, so don't try to. :wink: When I travel with my kids, I try to keep the meals at their scheduled time and just say thanks when the child takes a nap.
I would consider this "break" as an advantage and simply start with the new routines once your back home - of course with an attitude of supreme confidence. :arrow: This is how things works now. :thumbsup: Fantastic, don't you think? :P

Your new schedule is just fine, I'm just wondering if she'll manage all the way to lunch after a 12h night and only breastfeeding from 18.00 to 12.00 the next day. I would suggest some real breakfast - porridge, yoghurt, bread... whatever is at the menu at your place. You could start by breastfeeding her as usual (so cosy O:)) and then have her at table with you when you have your breakfast. Let her taste a bit of what you're eating and gradually this meal will become more consistent.

As you're into the cure, I suppose you're more than familiar with the jingle? The jingle should now be your very best friend (and your relation will last a long long time :wink: ).

To get back to your initial questions:
ninay skrev:But she always wakes up approx 15 min before the sleeping time is over
If she wakes up a quarter of an hour before the scheduled end, I would not fuss but "wake her up" joyfully and go on with the schedule as if nothing happened. If she wakes up earlier, use the jingle to inform her that naptime isn't over yet. Some kids prefer to sleep in darkness even on daytime, might be something to consider.
ninay skrev:(but she also crys 15 min before she falls asleep).
What do you mean with "crying"? It's a very general term for what babies do, but when you really listen to your child "crying" you will learn to interpret what she means: she might be sad, upset, angry, bored... And all she can do is cry :roll: :lol:
Always before bedtime (day and night), she should be crying with laughter, or nearby. Tickle her if it what it takes, but you should put a really happy baby to bed - as always with an attitude of supreme confidence. The bedtime laugh must never be forgotten. 8)

If she starts crying when you leave the room (confidently and happily jingling), try the amazing tool which we in Swedish call "house noise" or something similar. The top house noise at my place is the vacuum cleaner, but the laundry machine and elder brothers playing are good enough as well. Or simply music, Enya has been a dear friend during the baby periods here at my home. :wink:

Have a nice trip and have great fun once back home (and sleep well, all of you)

ninays

Inlägg av ninays »

It is great to get some feedback from someone with experience.
I think it is a fantastic idea to keep the meal times in time.
Luckily the travel time is ideal however, I worried about her in the plane. But I will manage to feed her in the morning and eventually when we reach home. And on friday the new routine will start :)!
In terms of breakfast you also have a good suggestion as I also think the time between breakfast and lunch will be very hard for her.

Today was amazing in terms of falling asleep. We are a good team in laughing and giggeling. But the crying when waking up remains. I can not really identify what the cry means. But maybe with the new routine it will change and maybe I will jingle a bit more before she gets up and I can change this habit too.

Ok...I will try all of this and let you know how it worked :)
Thanks again for your support.
Off I go to prepare her dinner now!

All the best
Nina
ninays

Change in day naps

Inlägg av ninays »

Dear both,

it is great to follow the news on this topic and it helps a lot. I will try the banana trick aswell as my 6 month and 2 week old baby also still has issues with the long nap. :D

I answer here as I read the content on changing the nap time when the baby's sleeping needs reduce and I am sure a lot of other mothers will be happy to see the answer as well. =D>

1 QUESTION:
Currently my baby sleeps 12h + 45min + 2h (but actually less as she always wakes up early, but let's see what the banana says) + 20min!
I was wondering if you have some experience what suits babys more in order to reduce the sleeping hours.
1) Is this ideal: 12h at night, 45 in the morning + 2 h after lunch?
2) Or would it be better (as she does not like the long nap) to do it this way: 12 at night + 45 in the morning + 1.5h after lunch and 20min in the afternoon.
But I gues this liks to my second question :arrow:

2 QUESTION:
Generally it would be great to take the afternoon nap off, as this would give me more flexibility to go outside with her.
Her post lunch time nap goes from 12:15 to 14:14 at 14:30 is fruit and fibers. Do you think a 7 month old manages to go without sleep to the "good night" at 19h?

As always I am really looking forward to your answer.
Yours,
Nina
Sarisparis
Rådgivare/advisor

Re: Change in day naps

Inlägg av Sarisparis »

Hi Ninays :D

So, what does banana say? :D

The schedules you mention are suggestions, and they do not differ much in actual sleeping time. They are ment to be inspiration, not rigid rules and "unique" solutions. Generally (statistically :wink: ), it's good to respect the sleep cycles duration for the naps (20, 45, 1,5, 2h) as the baby is "easy" to wake at these moments. But some babies seem to have 30 minutes instead of 45, so as always the parents must observe their kid when deciding on the schedule. Which leads to your last question about the afternoon, it's impossible for me to say whether your son will manage to stay awake (and enjoy himself) from 14.30 to 19. Given my experience with my kids at that age, it seems a bit long. But you are the person that knows your son best. :heart:

The third nap is sometimes cut around 7 months, others keep it up to around 9 months.

ninays

change in day naps

Inlägg av ninays »

:D the bananas are great:
=D> my little baby actually did sleep two hours yeasterday and today she still has ten minutes to go with a little tantrum of 10 minutes in between. But sometimes the jingle does not work at all however the greatest invention of my husband was (even before the cure) the white noise of a radio without a channel...as good as a hoover but connected to less work for a tiered mum.
And the bananas are even better as it worked although I am just adjusting her shedule due to the winter time. I am using the 15min adjustment.
Except for mornings she is taking it well. But I am confident that some day she will make the 12 hours again. #-o

Thank you again for your feedback on sleeping rythm. I guess I will first stick to the 20min and check how she reacts when I leave it away.
You are so right that we all know our kids best.

Have a great day..I will go and wake her now :)

Nina
Skriv svar

Återgå till "Anna Wahlgren's Q&A Forum regarding GNS (A Good Night's Sleep)"