only sleeps an hour at nap

A parents' forum based on GNS (A Good Night's Sleep)
bug9140

only sleeps an hour at nap

Inlägg av bug9140 »

my daughter who is one will only sleep an hour at nap time( when she is suppose to sleep two), she poops and wakes her self up. should I get her up after an hour and split the nap into two? I have tired to put her back down my jingleing but that tends to make her mad. should i move the nap earlier in the day? she naps from 12:30 to 2:30pm. Any suggestions would be great she also wakes up at night after pooping at 4:30am but goes back down with a jingles or two. I do think this program is a miracle come true, If we could fix the one hick in the giddy up it would be awesome.

Thank you

Allyson
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Re: only sleeps an hour at nap

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

my daughter kisala 16months old is on the third day of the sleep cure, she wont take a nap. I position and fan and jingle on my way out, but when I try to give the reminder she just screams and every time I jingles her she just crys louder. She does not do this at night what should I do?
Tor 2006
:heart: BB barn från början. Sov sin första 12h natt 5 dagar före 4 mån, Diplomerad SS vid 6 mån
:heart:

:heart: FTLOC child from the beginning. Slept his first 12 hour night 5 days before 4 months. :heart:
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hi Allyson and welcome,

Please lets have one thread for all you questions regarding the same child.

So I will answer both in this one.

Number one rule, we can’t sleep for our children only give then the prerequisite for sleep.

So what are the prerequisites?

- Pitch dark room
- Cool room
- Household noise
- Calm child
- Patience mom/dad
- Calm and secure parent.

Where in the cure are you? What day?

What is the schedule like?

Perhaps it would be easier for you if you have 12 hour night and only 1,5 hour sleep during the day so that it won’t be such a big deal if she only sleeps for one hour?

Also I think you are reaching the “pre tantrum age” please read more about this in the book “For the love of children”. It is not strange that children start to scream a bit more at nap time or bed time at this age. Then you need to be even more secure in what you are doing and why!

So normally I would just have the laughing to the bed for 10 min and then put the child in bed, with a short sunfeather lets say 5-10 sec and then leave with the LOUDEST happiest jingle available. You should be able to be very happy when you say the jingle.

So what do you do when she wakes up after one hour? A jingle should be enough. If you have passed the 5th night of the cure you don’t need an separate confirmation jingle anymore.

Please give me some more information please and perhaps we can solve this tiny problem.
Tor 2006
:heart: BB barn från början. Sov sin första 12h natt 5 dagar före 4 mån, Diplomerad SS vid 6 mån

:heart: FTLOC child from the beginning. Slept his first 12 hour night 5 days before 4 months. :heart:
bug9140

Inlägg av bug9140 »

Sorry about the double post, Did not know.
the follow up week ended yesterday, some naps she falls asleep no problem other days there is a whole hour of questions before she sleeps.

kisala schedule

7:00am wake up
7:15am breast milk
8:30am breakfast
playtime
11:00am Lunch (I decided to move this because she was starving by 11:30)
12:15-2:15 nap
2:30 snack
playtime
5:30 dinner with mom
6:00pm play time and top off
7:30pm night time

The reason for the separation between wake up and breakfast is my work schedule I am a nanny and get to have kisala with me during the day but have to be to work by 8:15am If you see a better way to do this let me know. She also gets tired around 10:30am and I let her have a five minute nap. Last night It took a long time to put her down but, that was the first night that has happened since the cure started. my nap jingle is sweet dreams sun beams and my night jingle is sweet dreams moon beams, should i say a completely different jingle? I can try the 12 hrs thursday and let you know how it goes. Thank you so much for your help and thank you for writing the book it has made my life simpler by far.

Allyson :lol:
bug9140

Inlägg av bug9140 »

Also one more question should it be pitch dark during nap time?
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hi,

Great job so far! =D>

Schedule looks great. Perhaps try to skip the 5 min nap would be an idea?
I had my son’s room pitch black during day nap, so he would sleep well, this changed later on to that he could sleep anywhere, but first the clock needs to set in their bodies. So darken the room for a few months or over the summer is my tip.

Regarding the jingle it is fine, you can use it, I really like it! :D Just make sure you say it in a 4 beat rhythm like an opera singer. In different tones, firm, glad, happy, laughing, angry. Use the tone to deliver the message you want.
Tor 2006

bug9140

Inlägg av bug9140 »

well I tired the 12 hr night and it seems now that it takes her longer to go to sleep, she just whines in her crib. But I don't have much trouble getting her down for nap now which is good. Every thing else is going great she does not wake up at 10 min till wake up time any more and I have not had to jingle after she is asleep for a few days now.

Thank you for your help

Allyson
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Thanks Allyson for great news! =D>

Keep us posted. :D
Tor 2006

bug9140

Inlägg av bug9140 »

so naps are going better, but at night she does not sleep very soundly, she has started to wake up several times at night, I usually just need to jingle a few times unless she freaks out. sometimes she puts herself back to sleep. should i be worried that I did something wrong. Some days i work till 12:30pm so she falls asleep late in the car should i still let her sleep the hour and a half or should i wake her up at 1:45pm like the schedule says. Also should i move her nap time to better accommodate my work schedule? any thoughts would be helpful.

Allyson
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hi,

Yes I believe that you need to adjust your schedule so that it works with your day to day routine. One could be to have longer night say at 19.00 and then you would only need a 1,5 hour nap. Think about your times and how you can adjust the schedule to suite you most of the time. I don’t have a problem with her falling asleep in the car if she sleeps the whole nap. But you don’t want it to end to late.

The nights being the way they are, are most likely due to the “Pre tantrum” stage she is in right now. Please read about this in the FTLOC book. Try sticking to the jingle and use the sun feather in BIG exceptions.
Tor 2006

bug9140

Inlägg av bug9140 »

So my little girl is know over two years old and she has been sleeping through the night no problem. I love it , but there have been two things lately that I dont know what to do about. First at night the last week she has been waking up screaming for me. just once but it me . We have been dancing and playing before bed. I put her in bed, and fan her and then jingle my way out. then about one she wakes up screaming. I fan again and then jingle my way out. the only thing I can think of is two days a week she sleeps at her dads house because I have to work. He does not do the cure with her. could that be the problem?

Problem two she has stopped taking naps during the day, she only took a nap two days this week. should I cut out nap and put her to bed earlier. I hope we can solve my problem.
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hi,

I have the following thoughts about your beautiful girl. :D

1. She is in her 3-year defiant period, starting about now I would guess. Read about it in FTLOC book. (as you had the 8-month anxiaty, 1,5 year pre-tantrum and so on)
2. Yes, sleeping 2 nights here and 5 nights there can be confusing specially if you do different, but she is getting old enough to understand that mom and dad does different. So if she feels secure there and he is consistent in his bed routine she will learn the difference. But sure, there will for about a year now be a whole lot of more questions.
3. Ensure you both are still using a crib for her and not give in to getting her a “big bed”.
4. DAynaps, you give the prerequisite for rest, if she sleeps no more than 45 mins or perhaps only 20. The other days, put on a CD story she can listen to for 45 mins as a rest and if she falls asleep ok for a short while. Rest can stay uptil about 4 years old, they will still need rest even if they don’t sleep.
5. But you need to ensure now that the nights are 12 hours, not less. Then she will have to sleep more during the day.

Lets start here, read in the “for the love of children” book and many of your thoughts will fall into place, I promise! 8)
Tor 2006

bug9140

Inlägg av bug9140 »

Hello again

I have another problem. My daughter still does great sleeping all the way through the night. but over the last month things have gotten worse about her going to be. She says "I scared" over and over. I play right before bed let her run outside and chase her, she laughs and loves it. She brushes her teeth. I sing to her then I lay her down (all the while she says mommy I scared there is a ghost). I fan her and put her blankie on her and walk out of the room jingling, and I jingle and jingle. If she starts to scream I do go in and fan and calm her, but tonight her bed time is 7:30 she was calling for me till 9:00pm. I jingled and jingled but it did not seem to help. do I need to do the cure over again? I just am lost at what to do. She does sleep at grandmas house on wednesdays and dad's on sunday nights, so I can work(they do not do the cure). she is in her own bed on tuesday,thursday, friday and saturday nights. Any help would be apperciated. Also woken up a few times at night screaming. I have jingled from her door, but she just screams louder. I do go in and after I have calmed her(never taking her from her crib). She wont go back to sleep says the ghost woke her up. help please lost

Allyson :!:
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hi,

How old is your girl now? What is your schedule like?

My best tip on ghosts, is get “ghost spray”. (A spray water bottle you fill with water) Spray all the ghosts away before saying good night. Prepare her thoroughly before you enter the bedroom. This is what is going to happen, this is what mommy will do if you wake up. Chase all the ghosts, ask her where they are? Spray!

Get a wakeup bell/clock that rings outside the bedroom in the morning if morning is say 7.00. Then bring the clock in and have her turn it off. That makes morning predictable and consistent. If you go in and FAN her every time she wakes up, you only confirm her fears and say in action with the jingle that I will be there soon to sunfeather you. :( Because without my presence you can’t go back to sleep. (reread the Safari chapter!!) :cry:

You tell her well in advance that you will jingle her and nothing else! You need to make her feel secure and answer her questions so that she is satisfied. She will learn that at moms house there are no ghosts because mommy takes care of them! (even if I’m not sure there are no ghosts, you must transmit fully calm and secureness)

See this as a minicure, from night 2 of the cheatsheet. And proceed from there!

Good Luck!
Tor 2006

zsenge

Inlägg av zsenge »

Hello,
I am new here, I am the dad of an 16 month old girl and we are on the 5th day of the cure - I think our problem is closest to this thread.

So nights were amazingly easy to get along with, but - as it seems, quite usually - we have some issues with daytime naps. She is not angry, not even really crying, just does not fall sleep for like 20-25 mins, plays around has some fan. I could live with that at this stage, but we don't know, how to proceed: should we let her sleep the planned length (that is 45 or 1h30 mins), which would mean that the schedule is messed up, or we wake her up around the time when the bedtime is over based on the schedule, even if that means that she would sleep only 25 mins instead of 45, or maybe 50 instead of 1h30?

Her schedule plans 11:15 hours sleep during the night, and then 45 mins in the morning and 1h30 in the afternoon. We designed the schedule based on her habits before the cure of course.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Zsolt
Skriv svar

Återgå till "Anna Wahlgren's Q&A Forum regarding GNS (A Good Night's Sleep)"