Starting the cure

A parents' forum based on GNS (A Good Night's Sleep)
jazzlithi

Re: Starting the cure

Inlägg av jazzlithi »

One more thing I forgot to mention - we sleep all in one bedroom, me, my husband and my son. Do you think maybe it is also the problem? That he hears me jingling from my bed not outside the room? But we have been doing this up to now without any problem. I could move out of the bedroom for couple of nights, untill he sleeps soundly again, but it´s not a longterm solution. We don´t have an extra room :(
Thank you, I appreciate your help.
Ann
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hi again,

If he can’t sit down by himself from standing up, you need to practice this during the day. 5min/10times/day. Until you know for sure that he can sit down and lie down by himself you will need to go in, so in that case you WAIT, until you hear him ASK for help to lie down, then you jingle on your way out. If he stands up right away, he was not asking for help to begin with. So listen and wait for the HELP cry if needed.
If you know he can lie down himself, you jingle HAPPLIY with confidence that you can do this. Cheer him on with your tone as you say the jingle outside the room.

Good luck!
Tor 2006
:heart: BB barn från början. Sov sin första 12h natt 5 dagar före 4 mån, Diplomerad SS vid 6 mån
:heart:

:heart: FTLOC child from the beginning. Slept his first 12 hour night 5 days before 4 months. :heart:
jazzlithi

Inlägg av jazzlithi »

Hello,
I just wanted to let you know, that things have settled down pretty quickly and easily. Since the night after my last post, I needed to reposition him only once (except for a disaster visit in my parents house, right in the middle of his eight month anxiety, not a good idea :), his anxious period is over by now, we changed the schedule to only two daytime naps and it works fine, he sleeps like a log. I was worried that 4 a half hours awake before the night is too much, but he is handeling it so well, I am impressed. The only thing is that he wakes up still according to the summer time. He talks to himself in the bed, I don´t need to go to him or jingle before he is supposed to be picked up, but I don´t sleep much the last 30 minutes. That´s the only thing that bothers me now, isn´t that amazing? :) (of course, if you have some tips for that, I would be greatfull, but if you don´t , I am not really worried)
I have recommended your books to 5 families, one of them has already succesfully implemented the cure. It´s so simple and genious, thank you so much for your work. And for this forum too, you are doing such a great job here, thank you!
Ann
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hi, :D

Thanks for a great report! I’m so glad for you. Regards to the daylight savings time give it time. Let him lie in his bed talking for 1 hour if that is so. He will adjust.

Or you can do what I do. I have 30 min difference between summer and winter. I have 19.30-07.30 during summer and 19-07 during winter. Might suite you?

Continue with the great attitude and keep up the good work!
Tor 2006
:heart: BB barn från början. Sov sin första 12h natt 5 dagar före 4 mån, Diplomerad SS vid 6 mån

:heart: FTLOC child from the beginning. Slept his first 12 hour night 5 days before 4 months. :heart:
jazzlithi

Inlägg av jazzlithi »

Hello!
That´s exactly what we did, excpet for our son sleeps 11 hours. He used to go to sleep at 19:30 and slept till 6:30, now he goes to sleep at 19 and is supposed to sleep till 6, but wakes up every day at 5:25 (which is 6:25 before the time change) :) Hopefully he will adjust, 5:25 is not at all time to start a new day! But besides that everything runs smoothly, so I am an optimist.
Have a nice day and thank you again!
Ann
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hi Ann,

How old is he now? Perhaps an alarm would suite the little man?

You buy a cheap alarm running on batteries and place outside the room to ring at 06. When clock rings you bring it in the room and turn it off in front of him or have him turn it off. Then he know that morgning comes with the clock, not with mom.

Give it 2 weeks to get the proper effect.

Marry Christmas! :santa:
Tor 2006

jazzlithi

Inlägg av jazzlithi »

Hi again,
thank you for your advise about an alarm clock. We didn´t need it after all, it´s all settled now, my baby wakes up exactly at 6, sleeps great during the day, it´s perfect. He even had his first childhood sickness and he handled it pretty well. I am so greatfull!
Now we are solving another problem, which is solitary play in the morning. He used to play by himself without problem, in his crib. Then we stopped putting him in his crib and moved it to open space, because of travelling and other stuff and at the end he stopped playing independently at all in the morning, he cries as soon as he looses sight of me. Of course i hate myself fot doing it, it was inevitable that it will end like that, but now I have to deal with the situation. About two weeks ago we decided to reintroduce the solitary play in the crib. But it was a disaster. I put great toys in the crib, put him there, he looked very interested by the toys, even made a happy sound :) and then I waved and left and he started to cry... it was the saddest cry ever, i tried to wait if he calms down and gets interested by the toys, but it didn´t happen for long time, so I went in and he was so unhappy. All day he was whiny and glued to me. The next morning it was the same. Then I stopped trying and decided that I will first ask your advice here ...
Do you think it´s still possible to reintroduce the solitary play now? My son is 10 and half months. How could I make him feel safe when he is alone. Normally he loves his crib, when I put him there to sleep, he is laughing and talking happily.
Thank you again. Everything else is working great, the cure is amazing. But I anderstand that the solitary play is important as well, I wish I hadn´t spoiled it.
Have a great day!
Ann
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hi, Great news about the cure, I’m so happy for you!

About the solitary play,

Read the chapter in “FTLOC” in the very back there is something like “5th part, trouble? There you can get great help regarding the solitary play.

Then my 5-cents, when you put him in the bed you introduce the toys with great enthusiasm and don’t take “fare well” with a bye bye, You say,” I’ll be right back”. And depending on how it goes you don’t leave him longer than 5 min for about 1 week. He will with this learn that you say, I’ll be right back, means mommy will be right back. And then you start saying, I’ll be back soon, and you make the time a bit longer, perhaps 10 minutes. And depending on how it goes you give him longer and longer time. But no longer than 45-60 minutes I would say the first few months, it can be longer if you include the morning nap. That’s what I did.

Then you have about 3 boxes with 5-7 toys that you rotate every 3 days. You will need a puzzle, a surprise with a small snack, something that makes a bit of noise, and a puzzle-box. All of this in each box. This is a lot of toys I know. But on the other hand he won’t be playing with many toys during the days since you are buzzy with the social participation.

Good Luck
Tor 2006

jazzlithi

Inlägg av jazzlithi »

Hi again,
First update - my now one year old boy is getting his 12 uninterrupted hours of sound sleep, wherever we go, he is exactly the wonderful and genuinly happy one year old as anna describes in her book, it`s pleasure to be around. Thank you for that!
About the solitary play, it has slowly settled down, we never reintroduced it at the end ... he plays by himself in his room, i watch him through the door from the bedroom, sometimes he comes to me to show me something, but it works well for us like that.
I have just a question what is your experience with midday nap in the carriage. He still sleeps in the indoor carriage, on his belly. He is getting to big for it now so we plan to move him to his bed (i have tried once and it was a disaster with its end in the carriage :-) so i know next time i have to get the right attitude and "cure" him). But i am not worried about that, what concerns me are naps outside when we are not home, in a stroller. It is not possible to sleep on the belly there but on his back he sleeps maximum 45 minutes ... no matter what. Do you have maybe any suggestion about that?
Thank you very much and have a great night!
Ann
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hi Ann,

Sorry for my late answer. :oops:

Great news about your 12 hour nights! My son was the same way, I had the nap in his pitch dark bedroom when we were at home. Used a travel bed when visiting people. And when we were out (as an exemption) he only slept 45min on his back. After a while a got a travel stroller that was able to have him on his side sleeping. And with that he again slept his 1,5 hour day nap.

Regarding the day nap in bed it will take you 3 days to introduce, then it should work fine. Use the jingle to answer his questions. Go after the 2nd day in the cheatsheet.

Good luck!
Tor 2006

jazzlithi

Inlägg av jazzlithi »

Hi TorsMamma
I am waiting for more days in row we won´t have any plans, to introduce the crib napping, thanks for your tip.
About the stroller, I am just going to buy one, which one did you have, where he could nap on his side? It´s a good idea, I haven´t thought about that. I tried back sleeping couple days ago, outside but with covered carriege and he slept one hour and ten minutes, maybe he will learn it at the end :)
Have a great night and thanks for your work here!
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hi,

Yes they will learn to sleep longer in any conditions once the sleep is set in their body, like their own clock. :wink:

I had a simple stroller like this one, that you could make flat and put a cover over so it got dark. Like a black sheet for a bed.

http://www.blocket.se/malmo/Paraplysulk ... ?ca=11&w=3

Good luck and come back with a report. :D
Tor 2006

jazzlithi

Inlägg av jazzlithi »

Hello,
just coming back with a report about my now 16 months old son. We haven´t introduced the crib sleeping during the day yet, at least not fully. I cheat it a bit, he falls asleep in his carriage and after ten minutes I move him to his crib in a pitch-black room. It works just fine, almost every day I have to wake him up. He still sleeps twice a day, so after vacation I am planning to make it once a day and then I will have him fall asleep in his crib. And he sleeps quite well in the stroller too, normally at least 1 hour and 15 minutes, sometimes even longer.
We spent two weeks travelling, it wasn´t possible to keep up the schedule, but it was exactly like Anna writes in her book - he had built up some reserves and he is able to use them. It was an amazing vacation. And when we came back, we all got gladly back to the schedule just fine.
Just about a week ago, he started to cry while falling asleep and sometimes he is really angry that he has to go to bed. We haven´t changed anything, we give a lot of energy to a bed time laugh and then just stick to the routine. Last night he was even crying at night, we had to even do a little buffing. I guess that he is approaching the 1,5 year period that can be a little difficult. What do you think?
So that was just a short update about how the cure and other good tips from anna´s book and the forum are working :) thank you for your support and have a great day!
Ann
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hi from my cellphone, you have done just great.
I like you think it is the 1.5 year pre-tantrum age. You can read more about it in the FTLOC.

Thanks for great report!
Tor 2006

jazzlithi

Inlägg av jazzlithi »

Hi again,
just want to give you a short feedback on my now 18 months old son. About a month ago I changed his schedule to one nap a day and falling asleep in a crib came along ... just like that. We do exactly the same ritual as at night, which is a lot of fun in our big bad and then quickly go to his crib with a stuffed animal of his choice, close the curtains and leave with jingle. It works very well from the beggining, no need to cure him. He sleep from 2 to 3 hours every day, 11 and half hours at night. I even found out that as long as i put him in a crib, he doesn´t need the dark or quite room. What a relieve! :)
But also we are right in the middle of his pre-tantrum age. It seems like he realizes how big the world around him is and how "small" he is and it irritates him, there is a lot of whinning and angre all day. There are better days too, of course.
I would like to ask just one thing, about his "independence". Up until now, our usual day started by solitary playing in his room and during the day, besides lots of social participation and socializing there were times when he gladly explored the world by himself (under my supervsion of course), but without my assistance or needed presence. It stopped now. Solitary play moved to play with me in my bedroom. Every minute we don´t do things needed at home or we don´t explore together, he whines "momi" all the time. Sometimes it seems to me like he doesn´t want to do anything by himself, that he is glued to me. Is it also normal in this period? Should I just keep including him in everything I do? Or does it mean he is not satisfied in some way? that something is frustrating him and he express it this way?
Thanks in advance for your insight :)
have a great day,
Ann
Skriv svar

Återgå till "Anna Wahlgren's Q&A Forum regarding GNS (A Good Night's Sleep)"