refues to eat any muse - wants only breast

A parents' forum based on GNS (A Good Night's Sleep)
Sonja Gürtler

refues to eat any muse - wants only breast

Inlägg av Sonja Gürtler »

Hi,
we are at end of day 2 of the cure and my little girl (almost 9 months) refuses to eat any muse since beginning of the cure. As soon as she sees the spoon and the muse she screams until I breastfeed her - and of course that doesn´t satisfy her because it´s not enough milk anymore, so she is still hungy.

Anybody with the same experience ? By now I get a little bit worried.

thanks for your help !
Sonja
annawahlgren
Upphovskvinna SHN-kuren 1942-2022

Inlägg av annawahlgren »

:D Welcome dear Sonja Gürtler :wink: :lol:

Must say I don't know what "muse" is. Baby porridge perhaps? Anyway, she needs food, much food, more food and even more food :thumbsup: So don't worry but feed her the bottle instead. (And "real" food at two of the daily meals on a regular basis.)

I don't know if you can buy "välling" - formula for older babies - in Austria. If not, here is a simple recipe from the FTLOC book (For the Love of Children):

:arrow: * Valling
1 portion (one bottle)

1 dl (deciliter) water
2 dl milk (3% fat)
1 tablespoon fl our (wheat)
1 teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon butter

In a small saucepan mix water, milk, fl our and sugar together and bring
to the boil.
Add the butter, bring back to the boil then simmer mixture slowly
for about 5 minutes.
To cool, place saucepan in the sink or a large bowl fi lled with cold
water.
Serve warm.

The mixture can be stored in the refrigerator for 24 hours so for convenience you may wish to multiply the quantities of the ingredients and
make 2 or 3 portions at one time. *

Good luck with the cure O:) :heart: :sleep:
:D Nio barn, arton barnbarn, tre barnbarnsbarn och några tusen nästanbarn :!:
Anna Wahlgren 6 Oktober 1942 - 7 Oktober 2022
Sonja Gürtler

Hi,

thanks for your message.
We are now on day 3 but she still refuses to eat mush/porrige. I already tried the bottle, but she refuses as well. (she never had a bottle before, but I also tried to put the milk in the cup from which she normally drinks her water - no way, she refuses)

thanks for the receipe, but in Austria nobody would advise to serve milk, butter or sugar before the babies are 12 months old, I don´t want give her now any new ingredients which are hard to digest (milk and butter). Currently she gets all kinds of boiled, smahed vegetables and different kinds of fruits (apples, bananas, beaches etc) and of course all kinds of cereals. No matter what I try she refues, but she is hungry and she would like to drink from the breast every hour !

Please advise !

thanks,
Sonja
TinasDag
Kontakt:

Inlägg av TinasDag »

Hi Sonja,
my little one refused baby food (jars of mixed stuff) and I was beside myself w/ worry that she wasn't getting enough food! Until I realised what the problem was...
:idea: She wanted to eat by herself!
And she was only 5 months at the time :roll:
I found a great book w/ baby recipes and her are some easy to pick/chew ones:

Miniture meatballs

200 grams of minced calf beef (fish/turkey/chicken works as well)
3 tbls 3% milk or ricotta cheese
1 tbls potato flour
a few chopped leafs of basil

mix and form cherry-sized meatballs. Boil until they float up/rise to the surface or fry in a bit of butter/oil. Freeze and defrost as many as needed for each meal.

Baby omelette
1 egg
2 tbls milk
1-2 tbls grated cheese
finely sliced ham
oil

mix egg and milk. Heat oil in skillet and pour in egg mixture. Add cheese and ham as omelette starts to solidify. Fold onto itsself. Serve cut into easy-to-pick pices :D

We've served Ingrid our food (minus the salt!) whenever possible. The only thing you shold not feed are: beetroot, honey, spinache, mangold, nuts or rhubarb prior to one year old. In sweden you can start giving yoghurt from 8 months but only in small amounts (eg. mid day snack) since it doesn't contain as many nutrients as the growing baby needs (as meat/carbs etc).

Have you tried regular formula? I think, however, that your baby is big enough now to go for more solid foods. try letting her "eat on her own" and I'm convinced your problems will resolve themselves :D
Good luck,
Tina
:heart: Vetgiriga semlan Dag :heart:
född 071105, kurad i Gastsjön aug. 2008
:heart: Ingrid som kan själv! 090826 :heart:
http://dahlin.bloggproffs.se
Sonja Gürtler

Hi Tina,
thanks for your reply and the recipies!

But I can´t imagine that this is the solution - to let her eat by herself. I regularly give her some pieces of boiled vegetables (carot, potato) but it takes ages for her to eat tiny peaces. To make her full it would take the whole day and night !
She was eating porrige and mush before I started the cure, by now I am getting desperate to get some food into her, but as soon as she sees the spoon she starts screaming.

I tried regular formula from the bottle, somebody els tried to feed her, I tried vegetable balls to let her eat by herself ... the only option I didn´t try is to put the porridge on my breast :D
Currently there is no other option than to breastfeed her every 1,5 - 2 hours to satisfy her.

I have no more ideas. We are now after lunch of day 3 !

thanks for anybodies help!
Sonja
Sonja Gürtler

Hi Anna and Tina,

my little girl started eating yesterday evening on day 3. Finally she is again eating all kinds of mush/porridge.

thanks for your help though!

kind regards,
Sonja
TinasDag
Kontakt:

Inlägg av TinasDag »

Great!
I should have mentioned yesterday that it usually takes 2-3 days into the cure before appetite picks up... Got so into copying recipes that I forgot this essential part :roll: Sorry!
I'm glad things are back to normal, hope you're all sleeping well,
Tina
TinasDag
Kontakt:

Inlägg av TinasDag »

Sonja Gürtler skrev: Hi,

another question. We are now on day 5 and doing quite well, but still I am wondering when my little girl will start enjoying ?
So far every time I put her into bed (right after laughing), she starts protesting/asking. I do the fanning only short and go out when she is still protesting, then the lyre while going out. Usually it doesn´t take too long for her to calm herself, but still it doesn´t feel good for me to leave her while she is screaming.
Therefore I am wondering if I do alright ? and when she will start to enjoy being in bed ?

thanks for your thoughts,
Sonja
This is something I struggled w/ myself when we helped Dag to find his lovely sleep... And it took me a while to understand what was going on :roll: Let me put you at ease:
You are doing everything right!

What you must remember is this, that her "crying" is her way of asking you whether everything is OK and whether she'll be safe where she is? Listen! Is she merely angry (ignore/house noise/music or give her a jingle) or is she really upset/sad? If the later, then you help her. In, calm her down, and when she's quiet and breathing calmly then you exit the room again w/ the jingle. Remember, you are answering her questions so your attitude is key! The fact that she calms down quickly is your recipt that you're actually doing everything right :D Just give it time,
sincerely Tina
annawahlgren

Re: refues to eat any muse - wants only breast

Inlägg av annawahlgren »

Sonja Gürtler skrev:As soon as she sees the spoon and the muse she screams until I breastfeed her - and of course that doesn´t satisfy her because it´s not enough milk anymore, so she is still hungry.
:D Dear Sonja,that's what you wrote, and that's what we have been listening to. You have gotten suggestions here but you obejct to them, and of course you can do that. I need to ask you to be more clear however. Now you blame the child for "refusing" things but little children do not "refuse" anything at all. They do as we teach them. It's as simple as that.

She is eating well, as it appears, so what's the problem? You are the leader and the guide. Just do the work, nice and easy, and everything will be fine!

O:) :heart: :sleep:
annawahlgren

Inlägg av annawahlgren »

Sonja Gürtler skrev:We are now on day 5 and doing quite well, but still I am wondering when my little girl will start enjoying ? --- Usually it doesn´t take too long for her to calm herself, but still it doesn´t feel good for me to leave her while she is screaming.
:D Why so impatient :?: :!:

Please do the serious job to the end. You merely started the follow-up week. Please read the chapter Security again and again :!:

You need to convice your little child about her total and factual security. And you need to confer to her that life isn't only safe, but GOOD as well!

You can do that. Just do it :wink: :lol:

Sonja Gürtler

stands up

Hi Anna and Tina,

thanks again for your messages.
We are now at day 14 and so far doing quite well. Eating is still a problem sometimes, but I got more and more confident that Marie will eat as much as she needs and if she is not satisfied with the vegetables, then she has to wait for the breast or later on the fruits.

Yesterday another issue/problem appeared. As she is now learning to stand up, she also started to rise once in bed. The first time I went in a couple of times to reposition her, but after reading in the book, I don´t go in anymore. I only give her replies once she asks. Yesterday evening it took her 45 minutes to get to sleep, now for her morning sleep it was more than one hour that she finally settled. I had the impression that she was sleeping because she was soo exhausted already and not because she accepted the sleep.
Do you have any suggestions please ?
I do everything as usual: laughing, put her into bed, give her a short fan and go out with the rhyme and after 1-2 minutes the confirmation. Usually she was sleeping after 2-5 minutes, but now sleeping seems to be a real fight for her.

Please, if possible reply before the night! This gives me quite hard times to have her asking/protesting/screaming for more than a hour !

thanks a lot in advance!
Sonja
annawahlgren

Inlägg av annawahlgren »

:D I send you 17 other babies screaming of starvation, and 18 cows to be milked as soon as you are done with the truly desperate little ones, fearing for their lives. The cows must be milked NOW, or you will face starvation all of you.

Got it :?: :lol:

Put your over-concentration aside, once and for all :!: Don't scare your child with worry and uncertainty. Be happy, self-evident and clear, and TRUST the baby who is just asking for security, true - and happy! - security. It's all in the book.

PS No confirmation jungle is needed by now. Trust her and do not disturb her. Do your thing (soundly) and make her feel safe with your keeping guard away from her!
Sonja Gürtler

Hi Anna,

thanks again for your good ideas and inspiration !
We have now completed 3 weeks of the cure, but still Marie is not eating properly. Since we have started the cure she has continusly lost waight (not much, but still). So far I am not too worried, because she is a very active girl throughout the day, but still she sticks to the breast rather than to the mush. I found a couple of meals which she likes, but she only eats a little amount and then she refuses and waits until she gets the breast. Sometimes I let her wait up to an hour. She always empties both breasts.

Now 10 days ago she started to stand up once I put her into bed. I think we managed quite well after Annas advise and she sleeps well again at night. But the last week her day naps became more and more a problem. She never sleeps her 1,5 hours in a row. She latest wakes after 1 hour (which is strange I think). I still leave her in bed and it takes her about 15 more minutes and a lot of crying to go back to sleep. Now I wonder if she wakes because she is hungry or if she doesn´t like that I sometimes take her for a walk and she takes her nap in the pushchair. Do you think she always needs her day naps in her bed rather than in the car or in the pushchair ?

This is her shedule:
7:45 wake up and breast
9:30 breakfast
10:00 breast
11:00 nap 1,5 hours
13:00 lunch
14:00 breast
15:30 snack
15:45 nap 1,5 hours
17:15 breast
19:00 dinner
20:30 breast
20:45 good night

I have the impression that I am offering her food throughout the day, but still it doesn´t seem to be enough.
If you have any ideas also regarding the shedule, please do let me know.

many thanks and
kind regards,
Sonja
annawahlgren

Inlägg av annawahlgren »

Dear Sonja,

Just one thing: you feed her nine meals a day, It is four times too many. I suggest you follow the Standard Model. Or, that you study the Good Night Sleep-Cure book. You need to establish some beneficial structure here. It will benefit all of you.

TinasDag
Kontakt:

Inlägg av TinasDag »

Sonja,
go back and read a Good Nights Sleep again! Make sure you understand the imoprtance of a structured day/a working schedule :!: Sleep, activity, and food all work together to ensure a good and enjoyable growth environment. Meanwhile, here is a suggestion of a schedule you could follow:

07.00 Good morning
07.15 breakfast
Playtime, exploring the environment, helping mom/dad around the house etc.
09.00-09.20 Morning nap (09-09.45 if she still need a longer nap)
09.20 Small snack (fruit, sandwich, yoghurt)
11.30 Lunch
12-13.30 (0r 14.00) Nap
14.00 snack
Playtime, exploring the environment, helping mom/dad around the house etc.
17.00 dinner
18.00-19.00 bath, night-time fun and a night cap
19.00 sleep

Study hard8) , good luck,
Tina
Skriv svar

Återgå till "Anna Wahlgren's Q&A Forum regarding GNS (A Good Night's Sleep)"